X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
    That thing looks scary and wrong for so many reasons.....cant get my head around it.
    Haha I know exactly what you mean. Even holding it I was in disbelief. It's 5'4 x 18" x 2.5" for the record and some how has about 29l hidden away in there. Mark said 2ft to 6ft and the thing has been blowing him away. It sounds interesting for sure.

Comment

thanks for the kind words PRJ!!

Comment

Thanks for looking after your customers!

Comment

Huh, that's interesting cause the FW website says that size board is 25.6L, guess that's why they call it a prototype. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yeah this one was a little different on dims. I was keen to get a 504 like this one but have ordered a 506 in the new dims.

Comment

yeah the one Mark has here was bulit in a prototype manner, a little more hand shaping just to see how the shape worked in a Firewire build. once approved, then the stock files were designed, built and tested. those are the ones headed to retail...

Cheers

Comment

How are those pre-orders looking? Still a couple of months out?

Comment

I am still not sure what size to ride but Tomo's website says it should be ridden at chin height. This is very similar to snowboard sizing. I ride a 157cm snowboard period! I have tried several different sizes but this is by far the best for me. From the way they talk about performance and how you dominate the board, my recommend size is a 5'02" board but it's only 22.9L. My 6'1" FFE DD is 25.4L, I can paddle it but it's definitely a work out and that board only works in powerful surf which I'm not exactly blessed with most of the time. I have tended to go a little longer and more volume than I would normally do with mixed results. It's a delima for sure compounded by the fact that this board is offered in such broad range. What do you guys think? I can't see myself riding a 5'02" and the 5'04" is questionable as well. Maybe I'll wait and see what you have to say after riding your 5"06" pjrwebb as we are about the same size. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Yeah I'm 2" taller and was pretty keen to go for a 504. I really liked Mark's prototype dims. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the production 506 compared to his original 504 as I know he loved that one.
                    I think the thing to bare in mind is, if it wasn't for the Sweet Potato, a 506 would seem like a really small board, especially at 18.5" wide, which is less than my good wave shortboards so I think even the 506 is going to be a really whippy little board.
                    I'll definitely post my thought's once I get hold of one though!

Comment

Great news and thanks very much for your response. I bought a Super Brand Vapor 5'06" in Fiber Flex with very similar dimensions. Hated it! I surfed it six times with thruster and quad set-ups and it sucked. Slow with poor manners. I have surfed a PU in a 5'07" and liked it better but the hing dings just looking at it! Really interested in hearing how you like the 5'06". This would also be my first Rapid fire. Do those come in white without the bamboo deck?

Comment

Yep, white Rapidfire for this one!

Comment

Nice!! Sooo looking forward to your review! Perhaps some pics of you ripping it? That would sell some boards!

Comment

Ha dunno about that one. Nev put a couple of shots of him up riding his at Straddie. Sounds like he's loving it as well as Raz at FW Australia.
                            Nev is on the 508 for what it's worth. Said it drives off the bottom like a 6'4".

Comment

Yeah on the R&D calls nev has been raving about it. Nev does ride a little more volume than his weight might call for. Combo of personal preference and age i would say.

Comment

Working...
                              X