X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS fins for potatonator : looking for controller quads

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some advice. I just bought a used (basically brand new!) 5'10 potatonator. Unfortunately it is a FCS and I am used to Futures with my other boards. Everyone I have talked to says the Controller quad fin set up is the way to go. As we know FCS doesn't really make a comparable fin. I want to get the closest fins I can to the controller quads. I have read all over the forum trying to get as much info as I can and I am torn on what fins to get. I have looked at the indo control q fins, the rainbow heater fins, looked at the ceramic powerbase fins, FCS Hl-1 quads, and even thought about FCS MR TFX twin fins with some small trailers. My problem is that the fins with a base and depth that are similar to the contoller quads don't really have the same look or sweep (ex FCS Hl-1 quads) and the ones that do have the same looking sweep dont really have the same base and depth or area (ex rainbow heater, and indo control q). I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to do so I can make a decision. Im an intermediate/beginner level surfer, I weigh 185lbs, and live on the east coast of the US (wrightsville beach, nc) 80 % of the time the waves are mushy and small but we do get some decent hurricane swell. I'm looking for lots of drive but also control and hold. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Justin

Indo Fin controllers have good reviews from most people.

Comment

riding wrightsville being a beach break i wouldn't be looking into the controllers.. i ride topsail on occasion bc my family has a place down there. beach breaks i'd be looking into a more upright fin to make quick turns in the pocket.. but thats just me

Comment

suarez1212, everyone talks about the indo fins. They work very similar to the Controllers but the quality is very shotty. I would recommend getting H2 or H3 Nexus. These fins are fast when you bottom turn and changes direction really fast. I also really like the Simon Anderson Quads (SA-1 and SA-2). I think Timmy Reyes is riding those fins in that Pnator video promo. Another option could be Stretch quad with a stabilizer.

ALOHA!!
        Last edited by hawaii_boi; 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Stretch has recently designed his own take on the Controller set. If you call or email his shop you can order a set in FCS. They look REALLY, REALLY good.

Comment

Only use a controller like set up on the potatonator if you want it to go straight really fast.
            No need to be too complicated when you're beginner/intermediate.
            Just use a good all round large set of thruster fins like the Simon Andersons.
            Find them a bit tight, use a smaller centre fin.
            No need for quad fins.

Comment

cuttle u don't like a quad on the pn? have one coming in a couple weeks was going to rock the sf4 quad set.. being that i would only ride it up to 3ft in the beachies that i surf

Comment

I bought some FCS controllers from the Indo company and would be willing to sell them if you want to make me an offer.

I paid 70.00 for them off of ebay, they are white in color and come with a little bag. I used them one time for my SP and did not like the feel.

Let me know,

Brent

Comment

Hi kdropin,
                  Quads are good...however suarez has told us he's beginner/intermediate and at that level better to keep it simple with a thruster fin set.
                  For those more advanced have at it and find out what suits your surfing style.
                  For me the potatonator doesn't need what quad fins do best.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think Im going to go with the FCS R-2 quads. They look like the best all around fin for what I want. Cuttlefish, I already have thruster fins and have been riding long enough to notice a big enough difference between quads and thrusters. I much rather ride a quad especially on a board with a wide tail. I appreciate your advice though! Thanks again everyone!

Justin

Comment

Post up your thoughts once you've ridden it with the R2's to keep the information highway flowing.

Comment

I def will. Going to b around Christmas before I get them though. I will keep you all posted!

Comment

Working...
                        X