Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they definitely are a growing staple on this forum it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
      Tested them today in 3-4' they seem to be the missing piece of the puzzle. They make the JK go how I want, a little tail slide, good release and easy vertical turns. Cheque is in the mail! Many thanks Sarge.
      Thanks Slowman. Glad you liked them. I was always amazed at how those tiny trailers held in off the bottom, but they did.
      And thanks for the cheque.
      Last edited by Sarge; 02-06-2013, 02:54 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Comment

I've now moved to using K3's or Kinetic Racing Parko fins in all my boards. It's still good to have the other fins to mix things up but I'm pretty happy with those two sets. A good mix of drive and looseness.

Comment

I'll play along:
          Kinetic Parko quads
          Kinetic Parko thruster (the larger blue size)
          K2.1 5 fin set
          K3
          Knubster

I am loving the Parko quads in my unibrow, great hold and heaps of speed. I'm finding I'm wanting to use them all the time, even when I should probably switch over to a thruster set up. Since I got the board I've only used each of the other fin sets once just to try them out, need to give them another run now I've got the board a bit more dialled.
          Last edited by walkingdisaster; 06-22-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm still using Powerbase DLs in everything and DSs for quad trailers. Amour flex for average waves and Ceramic for good waves.
            I just got a KHF510 with Futures and my initial impressions in that the Powerbase fins offer a better fit and better base stiffness than even Futures because Futures rely so much on the base of the fin being super tight to the box and if that's not the case there's side to side movement no matter how much you crank the screw in.
            When you screw down those Powerbase fins they are rock solid on the base and a perfect snug fit. I'm intrigued to see how the FCS2 and Origins boxes compare.

• Montygoesbananas
            Montygoesbananas commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi walkingdisaster, was thinking about the KR Parko quads for my spitfire as am looking for something that will hold my 90kg weight with heaps of drive and good release better than the standard quads that came with the board (m5 fronts, m3 trailers).

Are the quad set you have completely different to the parko thrusters set or do they use same front fins? Have you tried the rusty r2 quads as these are the other set I am contemplating, any feedback appreciated thanks.

Hi mate,

Unlike Kelly's 2.1 set up, Joel's quad fins are completely different to his thrusters. Both the front and rear fins in the quad are smaller than the respective fins in the thruster set.

Can't help you out with a comparison to the R2 set unfortunately as I haven't had a chance to try them, but comparing the specs on both fins it would seem they have similar pivot/release properties and the Parko set would have the edge when it comes to drive.

Comment

• Montygoesbananas
            Montygoesbananas commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool thanks for that, actually went and checked out the KR Parko quads and X4's yesterday in my local surf shop, as well as the FCS rusty R2. I think KR X4 are an almost exact rip off of the R2, got them out of the box and the templates almost identical, not sure about foils though. The Parko quad set actually a little smaller than the X4's surprisingly, the trailer on the X4 seems symmetrical so theoretically you could convert to thruster but probably a bit small for me in this set up. Think I am going to focus on the quads for now anyways, having too much fun going so fast, then a dedicated thruster set down the line.
            Last edited by Montygoesbananas; 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM.

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I've heard, the Parko quad fronts are the same template as the K2.1 fins?

Hi,
          Somebody have test Jeremy flores fins, thinking this for my new chuby in 5,10 o UL5. I would to know your reviews for those fins. Only have K.21. in fcs system
          Thanks

Comment

Hey Monty, just an update on this, I was watching the Bali Pro in Keramas yesterday and Joel rode a quad in his heat, but I found it interesting that he wasn't using his signature quads. His front fins were the fronts from his thruster set and the trailers were Phase 3 mediums, but I couldn't tell whether they were the fronts or rears from that set.

Comment

Originally posted by walkingdisaster View Post
              Hi mate,

Unlike Kelly's 2.1 set up, Joel's quad fins are completely different to his thrusters. Both the front and rear fins in the quad are smaller than the respective fins in the thruster set.

Can't help you out with a comparison to the R2 set unfortunately as I haven't had a chance to try them, but comparing the specs on both fins it would seem they have similar pivot/release properties and the Parko set would have the edge when it comes to drive.
              I use an R2 quad set with a small stabiliser in both my spitfire and my hellfire and love them. Both boards go great, vertical, good release and good drive. This is a great quad set for these boards. Not loose enough for my hellrazor though, nor were they loose enough for the JK, both these boards are not as loose and explosive as the hellfire and spitfire. The refined rails have more bite which stiffens things up a tad, not by a whole lot but it's noticeable especially when I step back onto the spitfire or hellfire. R2's are IFT foiled both front and rear which seems to make them a very fast set of fins. The Vanguard goes at light speed using R2 quads.

Comment

Wow I guess I need to get working on my fin quiver...

PC GMB 5 Tri-Quad
                PC K2.1 Tri-Quad
                PC K-3 Tri
                MR-TFX Tri

Comment

Nah they are definitely different but the only real difference is in the base. See below:

Base:
                  K2.1 - 110mm
                  JP - 116mm

Depth:
                  K2.1 - 115mm
                  JP - 116mm

Total area:
                  K2.1 - 9,824mm2
                  JP - 10,098.87mm2

Rake:
                  K2.1 - 122
                  JP - 122
                  Last edited by walkingdisaster; 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmm have you compared them? I've heard those measurements are off and when held up against each other they were identical. Maybe there's different sizes?

I'll have a look tonight and post up results. Should be pretty easy to see a 6 mm difference in the base length.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yeah should be. i've never seen the KR fins, just going off what i read else where

Managed to get some comparison pics of the JP Quad vs K2.1 At first glance the template seems very similar but there are definite differences. The JP's have a longer base as you can see in the first pic.

Attachment

They also have a greater cant angle built into the base of the tab. It's a bit difficult to tell from the pics.

Attachment

Attachment

Comment

Just scored a large set of brand new H3 Nexus for $60 on ebay. Pretty happy with that, just need to get the quad rears to match now
                    Last edited by walkingdisaster; 07-08-2013, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• walkingdisaster
                      walkingdisaster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Decided to also get the nexus mediums. Got them from the same seller for $71.
                  Working...
                  X