X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FCS Systems?

Anyone seen the FCS II and FCS Origin systems?

They both look pretty familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzaMWm3PWE

Yes saw this as I subscribe to surfboard warehouse...FCS II looks good and the FCS Origin look like the Soar Powerbases. Looks like my old FCS fins will fit into the new FCS II plugs I think.

Comment

Yeah and the II system is like the Fin-S system. Keyless is no biggy for me but if more boards are available with the 'origin' system it should accommodate my powerbase fins nicely :)

Comment

they are super sick systems. I was really impressed. I spend a good bit of time with the FCS crew at expo and got a good idea what is going on. You will be stoked!!

Comment

What's the score as far as stock boards and fin systems? will the fcsII be standard or will you be making boards with II, Orign and Futures? Will Fusions be obsolete now? Seems like it could be an inventory nightmare if all systems are in play!

Comment

the new FCS finboxes won't have an impact on the boards we already make with futures. Basically the FCS II system is slated to be the new box by FCS so you will see that enter the market as the dominant tech in stock boards. the origin will be more athlete, special and custom order. This is industry wide.

Comment

That sounds like a good strategy.
              Cheers Chris

Comment

Interesting, I know a few people including my local shaper that file out the tabs and the boxes a tad to get some "adjustability" in their fin placement for various waves. Local shaper reckons 5-7mm is enough to make some difference. Looks like FCS II will put an end to that.

Comment

yeah slowman, honestly the concept is a great one, but the issue is the screws put grooves in the fin tabs and the result is, if you slide that fin all the way back and tighten the screw, it grabs the old grooves and slides the fin forward. In the end, it was really hard to precisely control that motion. I think the decision was a system that made using multiple fin shapes a breeze vs moving fins within a box. just my take though...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    yeah slowman, honestly the concept is a great one, but the issue is the screws put grooves in the fin tabs and the result is, if you slide that fin all the way back and tighten the screw, it grabs the old grooves and slides the fin forward. In the end, it was really hard to precisely control that motion. I think the decision was a system that made using multiple fin shapes a breeze vs moving fins within a box. just my take though...
                    Yes Chris it's an issue that can be addressed; the fins naturally move forward on the left side and backwards on the right side (looking at bottom of the board from the tail) because of the clockwise screw movement as they tighten. This can be avoided by filing out the box/tab just enough to so that the grub screw hits "fresh meat" on the tab, as well as holding the fins and doing up the screws incrementally together rather than one at a time.

Comment

1 or 2 split paddle pop / ice cream sticks in front or behind the fins helps keep them in place. Similarly small random bits of plastic spoons work well and last longer too. Pity about adding the extra weight though ; )
                      Hopefully the new system won't require the same expensive, hi-tech aftermarket adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                        Yes Chris it's an issue that can be addressed; the fins naturally move forward on the left side and backwards on the right side (looking at bottom of the board from the tail) because of the clockwise screw movement as they tighten. This can be avoided by filing out the box/tab just enough to so that the grub screw hits "fresh meat" on the tab, as well as holding the fins and doing up the screws incrementally together rather than one at a time.
                        That issue is easily overcome .. You just hold the fin firmly .. Lightly tighten the first screw without the fin moving ... Then do the same with the next screw and then alternately progressively tighten both screws .. Just go little by little with each screw while holding the fin in place .. Easy

Comment

Fan, I was talking specifically about once the box has been filed out to give you that 5-7mm adjustment but yes it works just normally to stop that 2mm movement too. I guess I could have written it more clearly and in more detail but time...

Comment

Soooo.. what happened to the video??

Comment

It got pulled. The system is being released this summer so I imagine lots of info and videos will surface in the coming months.

Comment

Working...
                              X