X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC7's

This sub forum was looking a little lonely! I thought I should add something.

Ok, so I'm surfing PC7's in my 6'4" Dom and 6'8" Alternator. I've swapped out the Standard fibreglass 7 fins I'd had in them before. The PC7 seems to offer more drive than the fibreglass ones, although its also fair to say the fibreglass ones offered a delayed "twang" from time to time. The PC's by contrast offer drive all the way through a turn. Not much release though but I'm not really into sliding with my surfing.

My next fin experiment will be controller style quads on the Dom, and then GAM's which will probably go on a yet to be purchased 6'6" Quadrafive.

The PC7 seems in my limited experience to be a fairly stiff fin suitable for a mid size to bigger surfer looking for drive, and enjoying rail to rail surfing.

Had the PC 7's on my 6'1" El Fuego and it was amazing - that board just drove and drove and never lost speed through any turn. Put them in my 6'4" Futura and I couldn't turn it at all. Now running PC5's in the Futura and it is all good.
    This was the first time I realised how much of a difference changing fins made to a board. It also shows you how well a shaper needed to know his trade when glassing the right fins in to a board - no second chances!

Comment

ha that's for sure goanna!

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
        Had the PC 7's on my 6'1" El Fuego and it was amazing - that board just drove and drove and never lost speed through any turn. Put them in my 6'4" Futura and I couldn't turn it at all. Now running PC5's in the Futura and it is all good.
        This was the first time I realised how much of a difference changing fins made to a board. It also shows you how well a shaper needed to know his trade when glassing the right fins in to a board - no second chances!
        I don't think it was as complicated with single fins. Twin fins probably started to make their placement more critical and finally with the thruster, placement shape and size all started to become more critical. Somehow though all the fixed fin thrusters I bought seemed to be pretty much right but I'm guessing with multi fins, and fins playing a bigger role, it's no accident FCS saw an opportunity for their innovation.

I had a set of FG7s (solid fibreglass) in my afterburner and they were sort of good, you could carve a nice bottom turn, but the UL7 (those light epoxy foam core ones) had a lot more flex and a lot more speed. Too much at times as they seemed to wash out. Then I finally found the TC redlines; great when bigger, the rest of the time I had a little 3" trailer I used for the TC redline centre fin. The board had nice drivey bottom turns and it had controllable tail slide on cutbacks. Anyway without having tried PC7s I'd imagine they are similar to the UL7 epoxies but perhaps a little more stable.

I used to use them as front fins in a Stretch F4 quad with GXQ rears and that seemed to be a good combination with lots of speed and acceleration into and out of turns. So in the right board they go well enough though you might be able to say that about most fins.

The FG7s are gone along with a bunch of other fins I had in my car when it got stolen at Belambi by the Houso Scum Malevolent Society...I'd better stop now!
        Last edited by Slowman; 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

My experience using the PC7 quad setup on my El Fuego was less than impressive. Perhaps they needed a bigger wave, but the board felt really slow with them. Now I was using them on chest high waves that were not really punchy, but I found myself unable to get past sections that I could easily get around with different fins. I can see where they might do well in the head high + range, or on something where you really need a lot of hold. However, waves like that often require a ton of drive as well (think steep, fast waves) and this is exactly where the PC7 lagged. For me it is all about the H3 Nexus either as a thruster or using the trailers from the PC7 set (GXQs).

Comment

they do have a lot of sweep for a board like the el fuego on an average wave. I think larger more swept fins are all about drawing strong, powerful lines which tend to take place on bigger/better surf....
            cheers

Comment

Working...
            X