X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS v's Futures

Howdy, I have snapped 2 FCS fins on my Futura so far and they have snapped off at the tabs with no damage to the board at all.
    My question is how would the Futures "fin box" hold up in the same situation considering it looks to be a far more solid setup?

I like that FCS typically snaps at the tab rather then ripping out the box. I haven't used futures except on one board though so no real point of comparison.

Comment

Goanna

I have had a few FCS do the same but never with Futures. Futures are very durable and to give you an example.....i was surfing a punchy reef break probably around 4-5ft and there was this guy flapping around in the middle of the break when a wave came through and someone took off on a nice left hander didn't see the guy and mowed him down. He cut through his board, deck grip and leg rope plug and stopped about an inch from the other side of his board (mini mal). The guys board drifted out to sea and he got the next few waves on the head and finally made it into shore while someone went and retrieved his board. We checked the guys board that run him over and he had future fins with AM2 in his PU board...no damage apart from a fine mark down either side of the fin.

I was an FCS convert and when i swapped from PU boards to Firewire's i made the decision to go to Futures as well....yes i did have a lot of fins but selling them slowly to mates who still have FCS........Hope that helps

Comment

If you ask me Futures is the way to go. I find they have a more solid anchorage system plus their foil selection is more interesting than FCS

Comment

Thanks Iggy, they certainly sound solid!

Comment

blew fcs fins and tabs since they came out...and more importantly as a heavier surfer had to put up with "floppy" tabs....futures are totally solid in all respects...have destroyed fins drydocking and no box damage

Comment

I reckon Firewire should fit all board with Surffinz boxes. That way everyone can use both Futures and FCS, and not have to choose.

Comment

i've been very happy with fcs.. but after talking with core on the other threads i am looking forward to trying out futures to compare.. want to see if the blackstix hype is legit.. might be a really good fin for weak (period wise) east coast waves

Comment

As mentioned by CORE, FUTURES are very solid and it's in my personal opinion, the closest thing to glass on. Besides the engineering on the foils and materials are quite something...specially on the foils

Comment

yeah i love the blackstix tech.

kdropin, get that tech on a fin with a slightly wider tip, like the FEAs vs. am1s. I like that added drive in weaker surf....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      yeah i love the blackstix tech.

kdropin, get that tech on a fin with a slightly wider tip, like the FEAs vs. am1s. I like that added drive in weaker surf....
                      so get the fea's??

Comment

ea's mate...go for it...wish i was lighter..!!..

Comment

My mate Beatlloydy has broken a futures fin, snapped it out of his fin box - he said he didn't even know how. The base (like the tabs) had sheared off...it was one of those foam core fibreglass fins where the base has the cut out pattern (to make them lighter I guess). So they can break similarly to the FCS fins. Though I don't know at what rate given this is just a single case.

I'm happy with the FCS tabs breaking and perhaps saving further damage occurring. I guess it's all anecdotal anyway, each impact is different and there is perhaps some luck involved (or bad luck) in each case due to the vectors of force that determines the outcome in terms of damage. I'd expect side impacts to fins both futures and FCS in foam core fibreglass are more likely to result in snapping the base or tabs, and front on strikes maybe less so but with a higher possibility of damaging the fin box for either but that's probably where futures fare better.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/futures/welcomejordy

Comment

biggest problem with the fcs plugs,at least the old ones, was just pushing through your turns was enough to bust them

Comment

Working...
                              X