X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
    I felt the same way, on the bigger stuff it really smoothed things out. I am wondering if I get a spitfire (6'0") and I have a Dominator (6'2") when would I ride my hellfire? I do think on a beach break or more solid waves or bigger waves the HF would be the call.
    My HF is my first preference, so I'm really only riding the dom in full, small or onshore mush now. If it's 3'+ I ride the HF.

Comment

Attachment

I tried today my knubster fin into my Quadra-five with 2 PC-7 in front and 2 PC-5 in a local lefthander it was about shoulder high very consistent, water a little bit cold (that is very odd in Panama, but it is thanks to the Humboldt current) and a lot of jelly fish.... Gotta say its weird sensation under my foot, coming from thruster mode to use it Quad, gotta say it adds a little bit of hold and control on bottom turns but at the same time offerin more drive. This fin for barrels could be even better, because it make more hold on the pocket, and of course if youre goin frontside (unless you are kelly in teahuppo).

I love using Quads in mushier weaker waves, which tends to make the board go to flat spaces on the wave more faster and creating more momentum easily. I will try configuration on my Spitfire to see how it goes...

Cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

I use R2s in my all my FW boards...I'm thinking the PC7/PC5 might be a bit stiff in the spitfire. I have tried M7/M5 combination in my JS Kingpin and it made an extremely loose board quite stiff. I'd be going with the PC7/GXQ quad set I think if you find PC7/PC5 too stiff as I suspect. My spit with R2/RQ and a little stabiliser surfs anything from knee high to 2' overhead.

Comment

yeah in my personal opinion, knubs are way better in better surf. If its small and crappy or slow, i far prefer the speed and freedom of a plain quad.

Comment

I bought the PC-7 with G-XQ combo and when I tried it, I didnt work me at all. I felt it didnt have any drive and the board felt a bit loose... Ive always wanted to try the PC-7 with the PC-3, but been unable to get those back fins. With PC-5 in the back, my spit and quadra goes insanely good whereever you want to hit the wave. Personally, Ive been goin back to thruster mode lately, its much easier to make great arc turns.... I always change the configuration dependin on the mood and wave...

Comment

PC7 / GXQ combo turns my El Fuego into a pig. Don't like it at all. Rather than being too loose, I find it too stiff, but this may be due to the fact that it feels like the board has zero drive at all, which is going to make turning harder in the first place. Now with the H3/GXQ combo it is an entirely different story...

Comment

Anyone tried using the Nubster in a Thruster Set-up?
                I'm riding the Subscorcher in 5'10 with K 2.1 PC fins Size M (I'm 1,83m 73kg).
                Back home there's a lot of riversurfers in Munich (Anyone heard about the "Eisbach" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jErPJbLWis) using Nubster-style centerfins to get a skatier feeling.
                Love the skate feeling of my subscorcher in small, steep surf as D'bah when you put a lot of pressure onto the center fin. Wondering if I should try the Nubster + the K 2.1 sidefins on small days even though it might be a fuckin loose feeling.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by el02 View Post
                  I bought the PC-7 with G-XQ combo and when I tried it, I didnt work me at all. I felt it didnt have any drive and the board felt a bit loose...
                  That, I've found, is the ideal situation in which to use a knubster or similar type stabiliser fin. If I take my stabiliser out of my Spitfire, with R2 quads, it loses a bit of drive and feels a bit loose and slidy. Although with stiffer fin combinations it's another story.

Comment

Attachment

Gonna give this a try when we get some waves!
                    Attached Files

Comment

getting back on the horse.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like a fun set up, I'll try and get out on it over the weekend if the waves aren't quite CBD material and if my SP doesn't arrive before then...

Comment

Tried the Spitfire last night with the DL fronts, K2.1 rears and Nubster in horrendous conditions.
                          Actually the first time I've taken the SF out this year. Forgot how fun it was, it's definitely back in the rotation now.

Fin set up felt really good. Stupidly fast! Will have to wait for better conditions to figure out if I need more upright front fins because it may be too tracky but it was hard to gauge last night. Really fast with really solid hold though, I like the Nub.

Comment

good stuff... I am just to find a good setup with the knub where I feel there isn't a lot of drag introduced by the center fin...

keep us posted!

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure about drag because I haven't surfed that board is a while anyway, let alone as a quad. That chopped tail seemed to render the quad setup a little bit useless though as it just got too skatey and slidey. No such problems with the Nub in there though and it still feels super fast.

Going to take it out again shortly so will report back if there's any stand out moments, be it positive or negative haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapper View Post
                                Anyone tried using the Nubster in a Thruster Set-up?
                                I'm riding the Subscorcher in 5'10 with K 2.1 PC fins Size M (I'm 1,83m 73kg).
                                Back home there's a lot of riversurfers in Munich (Anyone heard about the "Eisbach" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jErPJbLWis) using Nubster-style centerfins to get a skatier feeling.
                                Love the skate feeling of my subscorcher in small, steep surf as D'bah when you put a lot of pressure onto the center fin. Wondering if I should try the Nubster + the K 2.1 sidefins on small days even though it might be a fuckin loose feeling.

Cheers
                                I have not tried a knubster but I have used a 3" trailer fin with TC redlines up front in a Webber afterburner, it gave me controllable slide.

Comment

Working...
                                X