X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubster

Anyone tried a nubster? Got one on order. Super amped to try it out as i like quads but not too fond of their lack of control at times. Hopefully this little baby will remedy that!! Anyone out there tried one? Whats it like?

Have a look through this thread
    http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...-say-knubster)

Comment

Best thing fcs has come up with for a while

Comment

Sean Mattison of Vol Sol came up with it I believe. Probably sold the concept to FCS after Kelly's success with it.

Comment

Nice one prjwebb. Thats alot of chatter to work through!

Comment

yeah little cubs definitely have been around of a while. But its no surprise that mainstream adoption occurs AFTER slater looks into it....

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ycNAOgDJsX8

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                yeah little cubs definitely have been around of a while. But its no surprise that mainstream adoption occurs AFTER slater looks into it....
                To tell you the truth I hadn't heard anything about it until I read about it on this forum
                So a big thanks to the FireWire forum people

Comment

I heard of it for the first time during the Quiksilver Pro in NY and ended up learning a lot more over here with everybody!!!.Thanks everyone

Comment

And speaking of some "creative" setups...

Comment

Maybe use three Nubsters with two twin fins
                      I might have to try that combo with my hellfire
                      Will let you know how it goes

Comment

Ha, things are about to get crazy!
                        Two nubs with a big centre fin on a longboard?

Comment

keep in mind, a lot of knobs are meant to be center fins, not trailers of a quad. could add a bit of unwanted drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            keep in mind, a lot of knobs are meant to be center fins, not trailers of a quad. could add a bit of unwanted drag.
                            I just tried out a knubster on my 5'8" Dominator with the rusty R2 quad set. I wasn't 100% so I didn't get a full test. I had shoulder surgery in Sept and tore a ligament in my ankle in Dec. It was my first time out after my ankle injury. My ankle was a little tender so I didn't push to hard. I think in about two more weeks I will feel better about hitting the lip hard. I Did once but a bailed after I hit the lip because I didn't want to test my ankle that much yet. The shoulder feels good when I paddle. I have been good with the rehab.

I really liked it on the waves with a little more shape and size. On the smaller waves it did feel a little to stiff but I also felt week pushing my toe rail in because of my ankle so I know my transitions where not as fast as they could have been. It really did smooth the whole ride out. It made the board feel a little more locked in. I did a couple nice round houses and was generating a ton of speed. I did square off the bottom a couple times but I never really pushed it as hard as I usually do. It really feels like on a good wave you can really square of the bottom and get a nice smooth wrap. I just have to see if I like how it releases. It will be a couple of weeks before I really know how it releases with harder surfing.

I would say that so far it is an improvement on chest to a little overhead size waves with my R2 set. I will try putting some smaller quad trailers in with the knubster and see if it feels better on the waist/ribcage high stuff. Chest high to overhead it feels great to me so far. I'm thinking of having one plug put in my old quadraflex so I can use my Knubster on that board.

Comment

I felt the same way, on the bigger stuff it really smoothed things out. I am wondering if I get a spitfire (6'0") and I have a Dominator (6'2") when would I ride my hellfire? I do think on a beach break or more solid waves or bigger waves the HF would be the call.

Comment

Working...
                              X