X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviant Fin

I have been riding my 6'0 Dom as a quad and it has been going very good but after reading about the deviant fin decided to give it a go. I have G5 fins in my board and with the deviant in my board seems very fast and loose.(maybe that is just the Dom.) I also have a 6'6 flexfire (2nd hand) that I have had for 2 months but have not ridden yet. Today there was a good swell at the local left hand point (8-12ft faces) (I'm a natural footer) I put in the G5 fins and deviant and was stoked at the way my flexfire went. I could drive off the bottom and turn off the top with power and speed and cutback with a foam bounce very smooth and fast.(Hope the swell stays around) All in all very happy with the deviant.( and my 2 firewires, maybe just need a 6'0 Hellfire and I will have all bases covered, oh and maybe a 5'5 baked potato as well.)

On a side note I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the FCS G series fin and the FCS M series fin. I have both but have only used the G5 so far as it seems to go pretty good. I also hace a set of FG3's but as I'm 87kg I though they might be a little small for my boards as the 5's don't feel too big,especially as I will only be riding the flexfire in overhead + waves and my Dom seems to like a bigger fin.

The FCS G-Series Series fins are advanced injection molded Fins. Similar to the FG-series, the FCS M3 Fins utilise the same templates as the FG3, while the FCS M5 Fins utilise the same templates as the FG5 and the FCS M7 Fins utilise the same templates as the FG7. The FCS M3, M5 and M7 fins are some of FCS's first fins made from glass flex: FCS's advanced composite material molded stiffer and more responsive, with the flexing properties of fiberglass and their new foil technology which will offer superior drive and hold!

The FCS F-Series fin line, the FG3, FG5 and FG7 have unique, strong, ultra-light fiberglass construction that deliver a performance fin for surfers who feel too much flex in composite fins and not enough in carbon-lites. The progressive, engineered flex is complemented by optimized asymmetric foil sections for maximum hydrodynamic efficiency.

The result is more speed, better response, increased acceleration, more hold and drive through carving turns, and more fluid rail-to-rail. Available in the proven G3000, G5000 and G7000 templates, the FG3; FG5 and FG7 Foil Fins will suit most surfers, boards and conditions.

Comment

good stuff iggy, thanks!

Comment

Does deviant fin FCS can work with PC-7 as a thruster?

Comment

Danga, what is your opinion of that fin versus a regular thruster on each board or a quad

Comment

Danga, at 87kg you should probably be looking at a PG7, or M7 or PC 7 fin (or similar). The 5 series would be ok, and the 3 tiny with no drive.

Comment

Originally posted by el02 View Post
              Does deviant fin FCS can work with PC-7 as a thruster?
              yep el02 - PC7 & Deviant fin work very well together - at the time I was 95kg riding this set up on a 6'1" El Fuego - magic, magic setup for me!

Comment

I really like the deviant fin on my backhand, it seems easier to bottom turn and hit the lip (maybe it is just phsycological but if you believe its true then it is true). My Dominator goes good as both a quad and a deviant thruster setup.

I should get some bigger fins (7's) but I am to lazy/tight to buy some. I might search on ebay and see what happens. Do you think they would make much difference to the G5's?

Comment

I had the same experience with the Deviant on my backhand. Felt really good!

Comment

Thanks Goanna, Im goin to buy it and try it to see how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Danga View Post
                      I really like the deviant fin on my backhand, it seems easier to bottom turn and hit the lip (maybe it is just phsycological but if you believe its true then it is true). My Dominator goes good as both a quad and a deviant thruster setup.

I should get some bigger fins (7's) but I am to lazy/tight to buy some. I might search on ebay and see what happens. Do you think they would make much difference to the G5's?
                      Do you notice any lack of acceleration when you use the deviant compared to the quad set up?

Comment

yes, by nature a quad set is faster, more fin area on the rail. the deviant is still meant to be ridden in thruster conditions but it will reduce the drag experienced in those waves....

Cheers!

Comment

Hello,

I order my FCS deviant fin last week from the firewire home page and I was wondering where can I call to have some information regarding the shipment. Would appreciated it. Thanks

Comment

yeah if you email me, I'll put a request into the shipping folks here.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X