X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS's answer to Controller Quad.

I saw these today when I was messing around online and I figured I would let everyone know about them, I know alot of people tend to gravitate towards Sweet Potato's with Futures boxes due to the great feedback about the controller quad set and how well they complement the board.

It appears that FCS itself has come out with an extra large Quad set designed for Wide tailed hybrids which could potentially be the ticket for the SP.

http://surffcs.com/au/products/fins/...SHI-1QUAD.aspx

They are huge fins and they also look really great to add on top so who knows, maybe they will one up the controllers and take the SP to new places, don't own an SP myself but maybe one day and if that day comes it sure is good to know that if it has FCS boxes I don't need to contact some guy in Indo to make me some "indo fins". I can just walk down the street and buy conventional fins with state of the art materials that will probably do the trick.
    Cheers and let me know how they go if anyone decides to try a pair out, or if they already have and were just hiding trying to not let the secret out.

good find Chito, though I think those look far more traditional than the controllers. I think the controllers should be viewed as sportified-keel fins.

They have a lot of area!!

Comment

do you think those would work well with the Potatonator 5'10. I m 175lb. Thanks

Comment

Could be fun, it's a lot of fin area though. Maybe use something smaller as the rears if it feels a bit stiff with those.

Comment

A completely different fin to the controller. You could run them in a spud when the waves are larger but the controllers heavily raked and canted front keels with upright trailers are a match that are hard to beat in a spud when it's smaller.
          Where they'd hit the mark is more with dominators, potatonators and the baked potato if you're a big unit....IMHO.
          That's why I like running my potatonator and baked with the AMT Robber fronts teamed with different rears for a tuned feel.

Comment

has anyone got a pair of them? anyone given them a run?

im thinking of getting a set for next season but are unsure if i should pop out 110 usd for them... currently 95kgs ~ 210pds and ride a 6.4 dominator. would think they are on the extreme opposite end of the SF4s?

what kind of waves are they ideally made for?

luismx

Comment

Will be too much fin for a Dom in my opinion.

Comment

Luis, are you asking about Controllers in a Dom? I hated them...ok, didnt like them so much...in my Dom.

Comment

nono buzzy. talking bout the HI-1s. I wont be surfing till next year(sadly) and as a treat for not surfing i wanna get my dom a new set of fins. going to try to sell my glassflex sf4s and get PCs, and either looking into R2s or the new HI-1s... what wave are the HI-1s designed for? when would i need so much fin underfoot?

Comment

They mention super wide tailed boards. I think the Dom goes better with a slightly larger, more upright quad set, or normal sized with a touch more rake. Big fins with rake will make it draggy.

Comment

yeah agreed 100% with Prj here! The dominator is ideally is meant to be ridden more like a shortboard and i think free feeling fins are the way to go.

Comment

On that note, my FCS Controllers just arrived. They scare me a little but I'm gonna go give them a go. Will report back.

Comment

Oh yeah!
                          I'm confident you'll be stoked.

Comment

Wasn't blown away this evening. There wasn't anything awkward or weird about them and they felt nice and loose and free but I really wasn't finding any drive from them. Might have just been that the waves were super crappy but I expected them to excel in those conditions. I'll see how they go in slightly better conditions and keep trying them because there didn't seem to be any draw backs performance wise.
                            It's possible I was just over thinking things and screwing myself. That's why I like those really neutral templates like the DL. I don't think about the fin and it just does it's thing.

Comment

Still confident.
                              :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X