X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fcs 2 failures

Glad all my boards are futures. Down at the local shop today ordering a new unibrow :-D and got chatting to the owner. HAd 3 boards back in the last month with broken fin boxes. Not from smashing into stuff, but merely removing fins. They've also had a fair few people who have lost fins in the surf. Doesn't sound too promising. Note, these are not firewire boards, but other PU brands.

I wasn't impressed with FCS2. Seems great when everything is working well but too many potential problems with fins 100% reliant on fit. I had a fin that wobbled side to side like the deviant fin... Then there's the strain on the boxes when inserting and removing fins. I can imagine carnage on a poorly installed box. I've heard of guys mysteriously losing a fin too. Futures or fusions for me. Can't even use my Powerbase fins with FCS2 because the screws are all on different sides on every box.

Comment

I ordered a new custom as asked for FCS standard but she came with the 2 system. It's been ok so far but I don't see the point. The wee grub screws were fine and not that big of a deal to change. It's marketing BS I think as the new fins are not cheep. I stuck in a set of JW and I have feeling they will stay there.

Comment

So the consensus seems that even FCS2 sux? And yes, the FCS2 fins seems costly, the FW tri/quad set is like $170. I don't recall the standard FCS systems being this much, even in tri/quad.

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Its a nice idea and has loads of potential but the fins need to be made to much smaller tolerances. Slightly too small and they don't fit tightly. For what they charge for the premium sets there's no excuse for them not to spend a little more on tightening up tolerances.
          The molded plastic sets fit very well but the quality of the material is a big step backwards even from the old FCS glass flex material.
          If FCS spent the money on improving production quality rather than quantity then they could have an amazing system.

That's my take. I've switched to futures for thrusters and am very happy. I get fusions as quad rear boxes though, 5 futures boxes is too much stiffness and shearing potential across the tail for me.

• aurfalien
          aurfalien commented
          Editing a comment
          That's very interesting, so you do Futures for generl tri fin setup and a combo of both for quad, front being Futures and rear being FCS?

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah my last board I went futures tri with fusion quad rears.

I do like the FCSII box Chris, I just didn't like that if a fin base was over sanded during production it wobbled in the box. I had one that was almost like the deviant fin!
          I also thought that the top end carbon ones still wobbled or flexed at the tab under pressure too much to offer any advantage over the standard PC versions.

Maybe they have tightened up production and things have improved.
          That said, I've seen plenty of Futures fins that don't fit snugly in the boxes too. I think sometimes they can expand or contract slightly as the box is being set in.

I actually love FCSII myself. I love the greater tab size, the ease of changing fins, the techy look of the boxes, the weight etc. Everything about them is ultra precise and forward thinking. The new fins are really solid and work insanely well.

I think any time a new product comes out and redefines what we have known to be the baseline for years, people will have their opinions while the successor makes its mark but FCSII is definitely the box of the future for FCS and in 2 years you won't even be looking back.

Comment

• aurfalien
          aurfalien commented
          Editing a comment
          So Chris, would you say that FCS2 are better now then at first release? Have they indeed noticed what Phil has and tightened tolerances?

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I actually love FCSII myself. I love the greater tab size, the ease of changing fins, the techy look of the boxes, the weight etc. Everything about them is ultra precise and forward thinking. The new fins are really solid and work insanely well.

I think any time a new product comes out and redefines what we have known to be the baseline for years, people will have their opinions while the successor makes its mark but FCSII is definitely the box of the future for FCS and in 2 years you won't even be looking back.
        I agree. I'm loving my FCS II fins! I like the quick turns with the Reactors, but they always make this weird humming noise. I can't find any inconsistencies on the trailing edge of the fins, so don't know what that's about. The Performers are perfect though. Thinking of getting some of those FW branded ones too. Anyone got any feedback on those?

Comment

Yes the fins I have, go great on my FST V4. They are large carbon Performers up front coupled with medium Reactor quad rears. Like usual though whenever I get something new (board and fins) the surf turns to shite for a couple of weeks. I surfed my V4 in 1-2' shhhlopp yesterday (I couldn't even be bothered today) and I got a few glimpses of how it goes. Actually early before the wind, there were a couple that didn't close out and ran for a bit. They seem to go as well as my R2 quad set which have been my faithfuls for a while. I think they might even go better.

One thing I will say, these fins are not going to fall out. They are a tight fit I even put some oil in the fin box to get them in a little easier. I need to definitely have my knee under the tail when I press them in and I have to use a towel to push them in otherwise my keyboard weathered hands get a bit sore! I tried to demo taking them out to a mate to show him how they worked I got one of the rears about half way and we both decided it wasn't worth the effort :) It does make me wonder if convenience was the goal of FCSII whether they have kind of missed that one. On the face of it I think it is easier using the grubscrews and fin key. I'm also wondering whether with some salt and what not making the fit even tighter if I should lightly sand the tabs - just to take a couple of Angstrom units off the width :)

Comment

I have a large set of carbon Performers and medium Reactor quad rears in my new FST V4. They seem to work as well as my R2 quad set which have been a favourite of mine. I'd say they might be as fast and possibly allow even tighter turns. Hard to tell, the surf has been shite recently because that's what always happens when I get a new board!

I find FCSII and incredibly tight fit. I even had to oil the tabs to help them get them in to the plugs. The spring is pretty tight too. My weather beaten keyboard worn rough hands needed a towel around the fins to stop them hurting because of the force I needed to push them in. These fins aren't going anywhere. The good thing about the FCSII plugs is you can still use grub screws to hold your old FCS fins in place.

I might need to file a couple of Angstrom units off the tab width. I'm a bit worried with salt buildup I'll never get them out. I tried to demo them to a mate yesterday down the beach and we both decided in the end it wasn't worth the effort after a minute's worth of grunting and I only had one fin half out =D So far it seems convenience was not an aim of the design as I'm sure I could probably change my old fins using grub screws faster than the FCS2s.

Comment

Working...
            X