X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fin set up For Sweet Potato ?

Just got a SP 5'10" and asked the question in the SP section, but didn't realize there was a fin section, so here I am.

I am about 185 lbs and surf south OC from Creek to Trestles down to Churches. I am 42 and surf like it, more flowy vs aggressive style, that's why I prefer fishy and quAds. I have a set of MRTX fronts and the GXQ , Would this set up work fairly well for me? Other suggestions?

TIA

I surf the same spots and that is what I got my 5'6" set up as.

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
      I surf the same spots and that is what I got my 5'6" set up as.
      Thanks for the reply. We are similar age and wt and break, what % would you say you use your SP? Are your Dominators your go to boards at trestles (cottons, barbed wire, uppers, lowers, Middles and church?). Ever try your SP at sanO? (I have some buddies that like to longboard sometimes, and wondering if the SP is enough to battle those guys, probably not though).

Thanks

Comment

I use my DOM most of the time (80%) and am working the Hellfire into the bigger days(5%) where you need to hold on the drop, and SP (15%). I still need to get the fins right for that though and will work on that this summer. I use the SP for everything under 1-2 foot or high tide stuff. It catches waves easily an is really fun. My problem is I get sucked into taking it out in bigger surf because I have too much fun on it. The fin set-up is everything on that board as if it is wrong the board will not go. As everyone else has said on here make sure that you are all the way back on the deck pad. I am sure you could surf it at Sano if your SP is on the bigger side, as mine is 5'6" so I would probably just longboard if it is small and I do not want to paddle all the way out to the break.

Have a great day!

Comment

Yo Brent, what have you been riding for fins in the SP?

Comment

I have been riding the MRTX and the GXQ trailer fins. Seems to be a great set-up even if the waves get a little bigger into the 3 foot range. The only problem I see is containing the speed.

Comment

are those fins not fast enough for waves 3ft+?

Comment

Originally posted by lolly123 View Post
                are those fins not fast enough for waves 3ft+?
                too fast he means

im using the mrtfx and r2 rears in my 5-8, cracking set up!

Comment

Working...
                X