X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
    I usually hang onto fins that don't work in one board in the hope they'll work in another...sometimes though it never happens. I bought a set of Sunny Garcias tried them in a few different boards and never worked for me, gave up and sold them.
    Sunny Garcias are about the only FCS fin I havent tried. Still looking for that immaculate set on ebay for less than retail....one day. PRJ make your own mind about them..I know you will but I know about half a dozen guys that love them....I just didnt. If they werent popular FCS wouldnt have made the latest carbon kevlar version of them...so someone must love them.

Comment

Yeah I've got mates who liked them in short boards in smaller conditions. We'll see!

Comment

I used to have the LB1s (gasp, Layne Beachely Oooh, eerrrr, girly fins) which were PC versions of the H2's.
        Great fins in thrusters.

Comment

Yeah, I truly hated those fins. It was those fins that had me firmly in the camp that said all the expensive fins were a marketing con. I've definitely resiled from that, but while I can say when I don't like a fin I honestly find it hard to differentiate between performance characteristics of fins I do like.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
            Yeah, I truly hated those fins. It was those fins that had me firmly in the camp that said all the expensive fins were a marketing con. I've definitely resiled from that, but while I can say when I don't like a fin I honestly find it hard to differentiate between performance characteristics of fins I do like.
            Interesting. I keep trying fins until I come up with the perfect set for that board then I never change them (or rarely change them). I can tell the difference a good fin makes versus a fin that isnt working for that board. I give it a few goes but rarely does that first impression change. See I couldn't believe people actually liked H2's. I had a very open mind about them but just couldn't get them to work for me. I even bought a new set after I sold my first set because I thought I must have missed something that everyone else was getting. Second set left me just as disappointed as the first. I will say however the h3's work particularly well for a round tail quad I have so I like them. But they didn't work in an eps/epoxy, parabolic railed 6 channel quad I had made for me...horses for courses.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
              Interesting. I keep trying fins until I come up with the perfect set for that board then I never change them (or rarely change them). I can tell the difference a good fin makes versus a fin that isnt working for that board. I give it a few goes but rarely does that first impression change. .... I will say however the h3's work particularly well for a round tail quad I have so I like them. But they didn't work in an eps/epoxy, parabolic railed 6 channel quad I had made for me...horses for courses.
              Ha sounds like me! I have my "benchmark" fins that I try and then I can usually tell from there where I want to go next, for example, looser, stiffer, more drive and so on. Like you I generally never change what works, if it's bigger or smaller changing boards seems to work better. Though when you only have one board subtle fin changes can extend the range a little. I tend to stick with the same template but maybe vary sizes, particularly the centre fin in thrusters. Quads seem a bit trickier, I tend to just leave them once they work. A slight change in fronts or rears can wreck everything.
              Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
              Sunny Garcias are about the only FCS fin I havent tried. Still looking for that immaculate set on ebay for less than retail....one day. PRJ make your own mind about them..I know you will but I know about half a dozen guys that love them....I just didnt. If they werent popular FCS wouldnt have made the latest carbon kevlar version of them...so someone must love them.
              For a so called XL fin I found them to be very short on drive, good release off the top but it's that release, too much of it, that seems to kill the drive off the bottom...and this was in a TC Plus rounded pin with a tail that had plenty of bite. Perhaps the carbon was too stiff, I have a set of Soar Mick Fanning fins which looked like a very similar template but had noticeably more flex and they had good drive. I even tried the SG side fins as fronts in quad sets but they brought that driveless feeling with them even with rears that in other combinations provided good drive. Another reason why I think I started to just stick with complete quad sets. Quads just seem more sensitive to changes so they take a bit more work when it comes to mixing and matching...and I'm getting lazier!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                Ha sounds like me! I have my "benchmark" fins that I try and then I can usually tell from there where I want to go next, for example, looser, stiffer, more drive and so on. Like you I generally never change what works, if it's bigger or smaller changing boards seems to work better. Though when you only have one board subtle fin changes can extend the range a little. I tend to stick with the same template but maybe vary sizes, particularly the centre fin in thrusters. Quads seem a bit trickier, I tend to just leave them once they work. A slight change in fronts or rears can wreck everything.

For a so called XL fin I found them to be very short on drive, good release off the top but it's that release, too much of it, that seems to kill the drive off the bottom...and this was in a TC Plus rounded pin with a tail that had plenty of bite. Perhaps the carbon was too stiff, I have a set of Soar Mick Fanning fins which looked like a very similar template but had noticeably more flex and they had good drive. I even tried the SG side fins as fronts in quad sets but they brought that driveless feeling with them even with rears that in other combinations provided good drive. Another reason why I think I started to just stick with complete quad sets. Quads just seem more sensitive to changes so they take a bit more work when it comes to mixing and matching...and I'm getting lazier!
                I never did like full carbon fins. The ones I will be trying are the Performance Core model. I dont think you can even buy the carbon ones anymore, the new series is Performance Core. Carbon is very stiff which can mean early release but I wouldn't think as much as you are saying. Will get a set one day.

Comment

yeah i have often wondered about the correlation between function and aesthetic when it comes to the layup of fins....

Comment

I think from a lot of the fin manufacturers point of views, the aesthetics are the function.
                    People love to buy the crazy looking tech fins!

Comment

true. There is no doubt a bit of both...

Comment

Working...
                      X