Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the BEST 5-FIN Set/Configuration??

Sup everyone! I'm thinking of running 5 fins on my Dominator and Spitfire. Currently looking at the following:

- Rusty R1
    - Josh Mulcoy
    - Stretch Quad with modified 5 fin

Thoughts? Suggestions?

ALOHA!!

There is no difference between Josh's fin and Stretch's fin...they are the same fin as far I understand.

Comment

Have you seen the 5-fin Futures Scimitar set on Stewart's s-winger? I'm using the 4 of the 5 for a quad set, and I like 'em.

Comment

In FCS I use the Rusty R2 quads with a small stabiliser in my spit and Stretch SF4s with a stabiliser in my dom.

Comment

FW-Fan, really??? have you tried the Stretch or Josh? What kind of conditions (e.g., clean, mushy, punchy) do they excel in?

Pismo, i checked it online...looks crazy haha. what kind of conditions are these fins good for? What's the biggest wave it can handle? Is this the best fin setup you've tried?

Slowman, thanks for the input. If i decide to get a board with FCS, i'll make sure to check those out!
          Last edited by hawaii_boi; 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hawaii-boi... I have them in a thruster set up on a 7'4" Aipa Stinger. On that board, there's no size limit. Have used them in way overhead! On my SP, I can't get into anything over chest-head high at all. Just picked up a 6'8" PN for steeper stuff, and it seems to handle alot more than the SP. We had big old walls a few days ago and I got a number of real good drops (for a few seconds, anyway) and am looking for some more surf-able stuff to see what it can do. I really do like the fins - very little paddle resistance, pump real good, and they turn on a dime. I've only tried SF4's, and prefer the Scimitars.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
              Slowman, thanks for the input. If i decide to get a board with FCS, i'll make sure to check those out!
              I was hoping it might have been a bit more useful if there is a futures equivalent of the R2s

Comment

Pismo, the Scimitar looks cool but im leaning more towards the newer material techs. Does it do well in all kinds of conditions (e.g., choppy, clean, mushy)?

Slowman, the R2s actually do look like the R1s but just slightly shorter with a bigger base. I was just going through the FCS fins and the FCS SA-1 and SA-2 Quads caught my eye.

I'm gonna need to do more research and receive a little more feedback from other Firewire members before i head down to a surf shop a demo a set.

Mahalo for the current feedback...keep it coming!
                Last edited by hawaii_boi; 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

hawaii_boi, The Scimitars hold real well in big, fast stuff. The Aipa used to skip down big faces when it got choppy, and they pretty much fixed it. On a wide-tailed groveler, the feedback has been that they work well on mushy stuff. They're my all round fins so I just use them, and am considering getting the 3.25 trailer as a 5-fin for huge stuff on the PN... we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Pismo, that sounds like a good setup! Got any pics of setup?

Comment

Pics

How's this?

Comment

thanks for the pics!! the fins look crazy! lol. I gotta see who carries those fins in Hawaii so I can try em. The only Quad setup I have similar to those are the Controller Quad which is currently on my spud. maybe I'll pop em in to see how it works too! thanks!!

Comment

I had to special order the 413 rears from Oregon Surf Shop online. They did good by me.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                            FW-Fan, really??? have you tried the Stretch or Josh? What kind of conditions (e.g., clean, mushy, punchy) do they excel in?

Pismo, i checked it online...looks crazy haha. what kind of conditions are these fins good for? What's the biggest wave it can handle? Is this the best fin setup you've tried?

Yes really, look at the template. They are the same. Josh is one of Stretch's riders and I understand the fins are just Stretch fins painted differently. I have ridden the Stretch fins a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X