Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstix vs Techflex?

Hi All

Just curious as to wether anyone is running the Blackstix Fins over the Techflex (in any template)?

From what I gather the Blackstix is a softer fin, with a tighter turn radius due to the V2 Foil and the softer tip, which also helps when generating your own speed. As opposed to the Techflex which is a stiffer flex, more suitable to controling speed/stability on larger waves where you dont need to generate any speed.

But Im just wondering if the difference is actually that noticable, and what peoples actual experience/preference is for either Technology and in what type of waves e.g. Crumbly Points/Hollow Beachies.

Hopefully all this will help me choose the right fins first time for the 6'5 HZ Im looking at getting, which I will aim to ride on the better days, but on a variety of different breaks.

Cheers & any comments greatly appreciated.

while we're at it add the honeycomb to the comparison as well

Comment

"From what I gather the Blackstix is a softer fin, with a tighter turn radius due to the V2 Foil and the softer tip, which also helps when generating your own speed. As opposed to the Techflex which is a stiffer flex, more suitable to controling speed/stability on larger waves where you dont need to generate any speed."

Spot on.

Comment

got all three AND glass too jc in hex bstix and glass.....ea in bstix and tflex and glass......am1's and two's ... most in plastic too....and so on.....got a fin fetish.....waaaay too tired to tpye acacratlely right now...bump the thread tomorrow and i'll try and compare...
        Last edited by core personal training; 02-04-2013, 02:14 AM. Reason: kant spel goode

Comment

cant stop tweaking
          Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

Further to the 'tech flex is best for larger waves' observation, I think they are also really good if it is just the larger end of a particular board's range. If you are on a board that's designed to create speed in two foot waves, (meshed with the right fins ) once it gets to four foot the board shouldn't need any help from the fins in the speed department, but controlling that speed will be important.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Seriously looking at the Blackstix EA's now or maybe even the Roberts as they have the V2 foil too. Ive prolly lost a couple of KG's too and am more like 86 ish so Ill prolly be in the upper limit of the EA's but Im not really a powerfull surfer yet so hoping they should be pretty sweet.
              Jesus Christ!!! I struggle enough deciding which board to take out, let alone having to work out which fins to take out too Arghhhhh..... I can no longer take the piss out of my mrs for getting changed 30 times before she gos out, as Im probably going to do the same myself but deciding between surfboards and fins haha..... Do these fins make my arse look fat??

Comment

If you are in oz you might have a little trouble getting the V2 Roberts. I tried to get some cause i loved my HS large fins with a V2 foil on them and wanted something bigger and without much rake on them, but apparentlyFutures aren't bringing them to Oz anymore. Probably understandable as he doesnt have much of a marketing presence over here.
                So at least have no guilt about getting them cheap from the US on the Internet.

Comment

Decided to go with the EA's Blackstix as the Roberts are quite similar to my AM'2 cept for the V2 Foil. Cant wait to try em out.

Comment

Working...
                  X