• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf tech applied to fin design

Came across this today
    http://www.3dfins.com/products/moonr...moonrakerr-50/

Originally posted by iggy View Post
    Kind of makes sense to me and I have thought about getting a pair...but they are plastic fins and I dont care for plastic fins so that stops me pulling trigger. Interesting concept though but it isnt just fins that make a board fast or slow...there is much more to it than that.

Comment

Yeah they look pretty neat. But as FW says they are 'only' plastic. And on the whole hydrodynamic side of things - if the golf ball dimples worked in the water, then they would be all over racing yachts that rich people spend millions on researching that kind of stuff.
      A lot of fin design is about water attachment so that they grip and don't just slide out when pushed against.
      I guess golf balls with dimples spin and lift as they pass through the air. But planes have wings that give more lift, have no dimples, and look a lot like surfboard fins. I reckon the wing companies are doing their research too.

Comment

theres a guy on craigslist trying to sell them for $100. he's crazy. im all for new tech, but plastics w/ dimples and skull art doesn't validate $100 fins when proven fins w solid tech at cheaper prices r around. i guess Josh Kerr's name is worth $80 a set?

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
          theres a guy on craigslist trying to sell them for $100. he's crazy. im all for new tech, but plastics w/ dimples and skull art doesn't validate $100 fins when proven fins w solid tech at cheaper prices r around. i guess Josh Kerr's name is worth $80 a set?
          Yeah I'm on the same boat as everybody else, it was just food for thought. Interesting point risen by Sarge with the airplane foils. One thing is truth,when a fluid goes over the little bumps it creates disturbances of the flow which creates pressure differences hence creating the lift effect. In theory they should work, but as on airplane aerodynamics, the velocity of the fluid is crucial...are going fast enough?

Comment

Dimpled surfaces are being used on deep rimmed carbon bicycle wheels - by one of the leading racing wheel makers Zipp. By comparison to aeroplanes bicycles travel a lot slower so there maybe a bit more to this. Though I would have thought yachts would be in the same territory but then there is a lot more going on there with sails too - increasing the upwind angle and getting the most speed out of sails seems to be where the efforts are. Though they are looking at this stuff as one boat designer said:

"Predatory sharks, AC yachts and other high-tech marine systems sometimes use tiny ridges and other structures on the skin of the animal/boat. Exactly how they work is the subject of a lot of research right now; essentially, they are manipulating the boundary layer to provide the right combination of laminar and turbulent properties for the pressure gradient in a particular area. Simply slapping the stuff on has no benefit without knowing what it's doing to the boundary layer in which area."

I was having a look around and found injecting oil and other particles into the wake also increases the laminar flow...it has been outlawed in yachting and I guess it might not be all that good environmentally (and fish oil might get some unwanted attention!).

Anyway because I am so well connected I can get these 3D fins for free! No not really but SW are giving them away with one year+ subscriptions

https://secure.surfingworld.com.au/specialoffer.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
              Dimpled surfaces are being used on deep rimmed carbon bicycle wheels - by one of the leading racing wheel makers Zipp. By comparison to aeroplanes bicycles travel a lot slower so there maybe a bit more to this. Though I would have thought yachts would be in the same territory but then there is a lot more going on there with sails too - increasing the upwind angle and getting the most speed out of sails seems to be where the efforts are. Though they are looking at this stuff as one boat designer said:

"Predatory sharks, AC yachts and other high-tech marine systems sometimes use tiny ridges and other structures on the skin of the animal/boat. Exactly how they work is the subject of a lot of research right now; essentially, they are manipulating the boundary layer to provide the right combination of laminar and turbulent properties for the pressure gradient in a particular area. Simply slapping the stuff on has no benefit without knowing what it's doing to the boundary layer in which area."

I was having a look around and found injecting oil and other particles into the wake also increases the laminar flow...it has been outlawed in yachting and I guess it might not be all that good environmentally (and fish oil might get some unwanted attention!).

Anyway because I am so well connected I can get these 3D fins for free! No not really but SW are giving them away with one year+ subscriptions

https://secure.surfingworld.com.au/specialoffer.aspx
              I was about to mention the Surfing World give away when I just read this. What does that say about them? Is Josh Kerr using them in competition? Not from what I saw from footage of the Quikky Pro.

Comment

It’s a pretty interesting concept. The snowboarding companies have been using sintered bases for a long time now which hold micro particles of water reducing friction and running faster.
                It could go back to the whole sanded finish versus Gloss finish on surfboards. Which is faster debate? Anyway it’s a choice another design to chose from which is cool.

Comment

free is always good. i did just sample the KR JP quads, those were pretty good. they were free too, but only till i gotta buy em. i"ll wait a couple weeks. also got a set of Controllers too. saving em for monday

Comment

Here's just a thought: I've taken a couple of aerodynamics courses but am no means an expert. Golf balls and bicycle wheels spin or rotate, foils on airplanes, boats and surfboards do not ( unless you rip!). So I can see why our fins usually resemble control surfaces on yachts or planes as opposed to golf balls

Comment

Back in the "Olden Days" 1989. a young Liam, or was it Garrett McNamara had dimples all over (mostly the back half) of his board to give him extra speed for his aerial launching. At the moment it really is looking like the 80' was the golden age of fashion and that includes surfing. Shorter shorts, beards, chicky boards and now dimples.
                      How lucky I was as a kid.

Comment

Oopps! I meant 'chunky' boards. Freudian slip from my 80s teenage method of choosing boards.

Comment

The world was other on the 80's!!! Tons of old ideas are coming back these days

Comment

Bring back belly channels. I used to love those boards.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                              Bring back belly channels. I used to love those boards.
                              Me too. I was so disgruntled that once I was old enough to purchase my own board that the belly channel had been forgotten. And I really loved the forerunner to the double concave - the bonzer bottom. I imagine if someone put it on my board now I would see it for the forgotten cousin that it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X