X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialing in the right fins

I will receive my first FireWire (a Spitfire) in a few days and need to dial-in a set of fins or two. I am 50 YO and have been surfing since I was twelve but now very irregularly since I no longer live on the coast. Travel to good surf several times a year. I am 6'5" 208 lbs. and pretty fit. Love to power carve and bash the lip but am not an "above the lip surfer". Grew up on a twin fin and then it's been thrusters most of my life. I have a 6'10" thruster most recently and going shorter to a 6'6" spitfire. What futures fins do you recommend? I see the SA4 as an option.

Maybe AM2s??

Comment

KAMAKANI I like the Jordy Smith L. It is based off the AM2.

ALOHA!!

Comment

i was going to mention the sa's as a start point as a thruster... as a four fin set up they are pretty big... you can always put smaller rears in (its the sa rears that are extra large)...its a larger neutral fin.. not swept like am2's... if you need more area after that, go to the pancho's... less, trim it down to the jc's..or maybe ea's.. these are balanced templates as a start point.. if you want more sweep then look at am2's etc... stick with honeycomb (hex)... the cheaper plastic ones you will probably over-power ...

Comment

a smaller (med) four fin set is the stretch fins.. lots of good reports... i dont like fours as a rule, but i want to try these myself..

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I am really interested in giving the quad set-up a go. Any feedback on a Knubster for extra stability/drive?

Comment

Lots of people use a knubster and they like it. You will get a better pivot point with that fifth fin, but personally I don't see there being that much of a difference for me from 4 - 5 fins. Try a quad setup first and then if you don't like it you can always add a knub.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks Josh. Will try without it to start. Can't wait!

Comment

AM2 definitely a good choice, the Rusty1 as well to give a bit more mobility on the larger sized riders The FUTURES website is down for a couple of days

Comment

Thanks iggy. I think that is my choice, AM2s and a set of the Rusty1. That should cover the spectrum of "hold" vs. "loose" pretty well. Think I will pick up a knubster too in case it gets big. Will test for 5 days in El Salvador late this month and report back.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan Kamakani. Let us know how they ride!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                      X