X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins tested on the Dominator

On the Dominator 6-4 RF (with futures fins) I had tried the stretch quad set (w/4.0 rears)and found it had too much hold to do loose tail-out snaps on small waist to shoulderhigh fun waves. (I sold that Stretch set)
    I inserted the sidebites (@3.23 rears) were a little too loose, not enough hold when bottom turning or a quick pump for speed. they worked fine on a different board that is now broken already I am saving those fins for my kids.
    My V2 F4 fins (w/ 3.75 rears) did not have not enough drive for a small wave. I might combo those into something else or (I am saving those fins for my kids.)
    My Tim stamps quads (w/4.0 rears) work great down the line, but dont loosen up enough on the tail slides

I have not had the chance yet to ride the Rusty quads (w/3.85 rears) or combo them on the Dominator this season. Being the tail is wider i am experimenting with the rear fins to see what works best on the dominator and other boards. the Rusty Quad rear might be the answer. I am looking for drive and that quick release of the tail on the playful waist to shoulderhigh waves.

I am going to try the Rusty Quad set (the 4.54 fronts have alot of hold) or combo with the Rusty rears (3.85 rears) with the Stamps front fins (4.46 fronts) or the upright AM-2 (4.79 fronts) that big fin drive which may give more release.

I have not figured out how the knubster fin fits in to a fin setup and what combo to even start with.
    Last edited by Fritzkat; 03-17-2012, 03:49 PM.

Rusty Quad test on Dominator

Update; rode Dominator 6-4 RF (futures) with the Rusty Quad set (the 4.54 fronts and 3.85 rears) today in Head High, windy chopped-C grade, semi hollow, with short mushy playful sections, 3 manuver beach break waves, . A perfect match. Had the correct looseness and drive I was looking for in a fin for the Dominator. Stable bottom turn, cut backs and accomplished tail out slash off lip. Wish I had a longer wave to play with to test out the next few turns.
    Attachment
    Next experiment AM-2 (4.79 fronts) keeping the Rusty Quad 3.85 rears. to see that in larger beach break 1.5X overhead waves. Just need it to get bigger.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fritzkat; 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM. Reason: add fin photo

Comment

FYI the Knub does add a good bit of drag. It does addd hold, but I was really surprised how much it tamed the looseness of a quad. maybe I need a smaller one, but its not as smooth as a normal quad....

Comment

Chris I would be interested in hear your further testing of the Knub. Not sure if I want the extra drag, or what slogging characteristis it does to the boards performance. I want my boards moving faster not slower. Being my height everything seems slow motion to begin with.

Comment

to me its a function of wave size. wider tailed board are better off without it if the surf is small. If the waves get fast, then the extra area is good. I was really surprised though how much drag the 5th knub added.

Comment

Fins tested

ss]
            Last edited by Fritzkat; 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM. Reason: adding a fin

Comment

Fritz that's quite some research right there!!!!.Have you try all those combos?

Comment

Iggy, Quad wise, getting there on the larger sets just tried out the Rusty's Quad and had a favorable experiance with them.

I started riding the Dominator as a trifin and trifin combos (tighter turning radius) when I first got it, but later favor it as a quad for front hand waves (going right) hence i am further testing quad fins. Just need the right release on quad back fins so I am not riding as a thruster all the time. I will post my trifin set ups later here as I favor a thruster set up on my backside going left.

Comment

Am I going crazy or are the Rusty fins bigger in FCS than Futures?

Comment

I tend to prefer a thruster set up myself. PC7, GAM PC are the two I'm using. I think I like the PC 7 just a tad more, but hardly discernible.

Comment

saxman, those in the photos with other fins are all rears. 3.85

Comment

They may be different, i think you can get the specs from both sites...

Comment

How Big are the Rusty's from FCS? Mine are futures

Comment

Fritzkat,

I have been riding the k2.1's and the Future equivalent is the WCT, I believe. I am 6'3 185-190 so you and I are pretty close in size. My DOM is a 6'2" and I love that board with that fin set-up. Best board I have had in years.

Brent

Comment

Buzzy I have no idea the size fins in FCS to Futures, care to translate?

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                              I tend to prefer a thruster set up myself. PC7, GAM PC are the two I'm using. I think I like the PC 7 just a tad more, but hardly discernible.

Comment

Working...
                              X