Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up some 375 quad fins for the back and they might be the ticket with the AM2's in front.

Brent

Comment

I just rode it as a quad last night with a little knub trailer. reallllllly liked that, though I am still not great on the hellfire. I keep riding it in surf i should be riding my potatonator. I think it likes better surf....

Comment

Yeah, I was going to ride it today but it was 2-4 ft with some chop so I took the Dominator. That was a good choice, but it was choppy which the DOM does not like. Oh well, maybe this weekend I can get something with the AM2's.

Comment

I find my HF handles chop just fine - though I don't mean onshore slop. A bit of cross shore chop or even onshore so long as the wave still has shape, once it is an obliterated mess the spit or the dom if I'm desperate. I think in most cases it is just our head telling us this is puke (probably for good reason LOL) but I found the dom and spit handle it as well as any other board I've had. I spent a lot of time earlier in the year riding anything because I was trying to rehabilitate after surgery so I wasn't too fussy and I can tell you I surfed the dom in some real puss and I think it made the best of the conditions. Always nicer in light offshore glass of course.

Comment

Yeah, maybe I feel that the HF does a better job because it is a little heavier while the DOM is so light, at least in the FST version of the board. Yesterday was all crossed up so it probably did not matter what I was riding it would have been a bit messy. Kinda wish I had ridden the HF.

Oh well, next time.

Comment

Anyone tried the FEA or F4 fins on the Hellfire? My mate has a HF and only has a quad set and he's more of a thruster man. He's not keen to spend a fortune on fins as he has a new house and baby so I want to get him used to the board with a fin setup that's familiar but not a set that doesn't suit the board.
              I've found both the F4s and FEAs cheap but don't know how well they'll work.
              Thanks guys!

Comment

mini me uses them in mine...i've jumped on after him in tiny stuff and they were ok...too small overall though...remember, even 70kg Nev uses sa3's and up...

Comment

For bigger days I got these AM2 and work pretty well.
                  For the average/small days the Solus work like a charm
                  Attachment Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

Iggy, talk me through some of the differences in the AM2's versus the Solus?

Brent

Comment

foil foil foil. the souls are super deeply foiled increasing sensitivity and performance at slower speeds.

I really like this type of fin in higher volume boards but less so in my traditional shortboards....

Comment

Anyone test out the SA4 Futures quad set or the Futures Stretch quad set on the Hellfire? I have the AM2 set but want a good quad set-up for the hellfire so that I can surf it when it is a little smaller.

Brent

Comment

sa4 good for fast open forehand..too restrictive for small vertical stuff...sa3 then...

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                            Iggy, talk me through some of the differences in the AM2's versus the Solus?

Brent
                            All right...where to start.Sorry for the delay I've been out of town for the past 3 days

AM2
                            Height: 4.79 in, 12.20 cm
                            Base: 4.70 in, 11.90 cm
                            Area: 16.16 sq in, 104.26 sq cm
                            A popular template for the light footed large surfer. The large base with medium tip helps with powerful bottom turns and releasing the fins off the top. Try this laid back template in wrapping point breaks.
                            Validated fin designs will always form our foundation. If you have muscle memory from riding glass-ons, flat foiled fins will feel the closest. F
                            SOLUS
                            Front Fins:

Height: 4.62 in, 11.73 cm
                            Base: 4.40 in, 11.18 cm
                            Area: 15.21 sq in, 98.13 sq cm

Rear Fin:

Height: 4.71 in, 11.96 cm
                            Base: 3.38 in, 8.59 cm
                            Area: 13.00 sq in, 83.87 sq cm
                            The Solus is designed with a literal twist, increasing the angle of cant and tow from base to tip, while a Carbon/Texalium structure gives the fin a progressive flex. The Solus drives and holds no matter where you throw your board, and will enable you to do crisp fluid rail to rail transitions and tight arcing turns without losing speed. A large laidback template for drive off the bottom and wrapping cutbacks..
                            V. Foils are designed to maximize lift with a minimal amount of drag. Fins with this V. Foils will find speed that you did not know was there, or help you get that extra gear to really find drive in your bottom turns. The leading edge of the fin is more rounded accepting more water flow at all angles of attack, and making the fin feel very fluid rail to rail.

Comment

Found the AM2 hold better on bigger conditions than the SOLUS and what makes the biggest difference here is the centre fin of the souls. That hatchet makes for the SOLUS to be a very fun set to ride on anything up to shoulder high. It releases off the top nicely and in control.Great fluidity and speed
                              The AM2 on the other hand is the kind of fin I put when waves gets over that. With enough punch and high speed these fins deliver powered and controlled maneuvers. Even though the flat foiled fins will release relatively easier than the V foiled ones, the centre fin on the AM2 gives you that extra hold on the bigger stuff, but when at speed they become lively

Comment

Do you like the Solus better than the Rusty set?

Comment

Working...
                                X