Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like the Solus better than the Rusty set?

Comment

Attachment Attachment
      this is a repeat from another forum, but should be here. Just tested the Snubster I made on my 6-4 HellFire with AM-2 fronts 4.79" and combo with V2F4 3.75" rears. Head High day. ( had a kink in my neck so I was not as loose as I wanted to be,) However. there did not seem to be any noticeable drag and there was a bit more hold, board was reactive during a carve with little or no sliding sideways. Good hold. Neck started bothering me so I could not retest with out them in the box on those same waves.
      Attachment Attachment
      I have no need for fins any smaller on the front than the AM-2's therefore I will be selling my Rusty Trifin set. (keeping the quad rear) Rusty has too much flex in the tips for me.
      I am looking for the following quad rears, Surfboardwarehouse.com is looking into it.
      SA-4 quad rears and the AM-2 quad rears
      also looking for the V2 Roberts trifin set
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Fritzkat; 06-29-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Anyone had any experience with the True Ames Fins (http://trueames.com/shop/timmy-patte...futures-fins-1).

I bought a set of AM2s Futures for my new 6'4 Hellfire as I always rode my last one as a Thruster, but I just tried it as a quad and I really like it. I really fancy the Rusty R1's rears with AM2 Fronts (Thanks for doing all the hard yards on the research Fritz) but dont fancy shelling out for the whole Rusty set if Im not going to use them. So was thinking I can order the True Ames rears at half the cost, which seem similar dimensions (H:100 x B:98 vs H:98 x B:95 - Rustys) with the added bonus that I can get the True Ames rears in Yellow Hexcore to match the AM2 fronts, so will be just like a 5 fin set.

Comment

hey jynxz, I have bought futures fins in singles, pairs any combo you want,just ask your surf shop and they should be able to help, in OZ anyway.

Comment

great thread!!!

Comment

Just tryed my new 6'4 Hellfire with the AM2's in the front and the True Ames quad rears and Im really liking it. Theyre just a tad bigger than the Rustys or the Stretch's which I found a bit too loose. Also the quality is excellent on them I have to say. I got the Hexcore ones to match the characteristics of the AM2's. I tryed them out for the first time today on waist high waves and they had plenty of drive but still felt loose enough to throw around easily. looking at the swell and hopefully Ill be trying them out on some head high + long point breaks tomorrow so cant wait.
              Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

that looks like a pretty fun one...

Comment

Quick thoughts... Rode the (FCS) HI-1 quad set when I first got the board (700) and it was a little stiff. Removed the rear fins and kept the front, (19.? sq"), threw in an Aipa center fin (small, I'll see if I can find the dimensions somewhere) and the board was like magic. Then lost that center fin in the reef and had to return the borrowed HI-1 set. Now trying other stuff... Rode the K2.1 quad set with a nubster - didn't dig that. Rode the K2.1 quad set (normal), but it was a little to small for me to be able to really get any performance out of them. I'll keep updating as the waves and fin sets change.

Comment

I am riding solus fins as a thruster and as a quad I throw in the rear fins from my elevon set with solus fronts. Both setups have great hold and drive in the head high range. Really though I swear you could throw cheese slices in the fin boxes and the hellfire would still kick ass.

Comment

I rode Solus fronts and SA-4 rears the other day. The V-foil in the Solus fins really helped me generate speed through some of mushier, flat faced sections. I've heard people say the complete SA-4 setup is a bit rigid, making the release out of snap turns tricky; I agree to a certain extent. The complete SA-4 set up is good for racey days, down-the-line speed, boosting and dumping slot machines. I must say however, the Solus fronts and SA-4 rears worked really well. Plenty of drive, plenty of hold off my bottom turns but not so tight that I couldn't get cheeky.

Comment

Working...
                      X