X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big guy on a Spitfire

I'm 6'1 and 240lbs (109kg) and am riding a 6'6 spitfire, which is probably too small but so far I'm getting used to it in medium size waves 2-4 foot Hawaiian scale. Regretfully it doesn't like any bigger unless the takeoff is really slopey due to the flat rocker, and probably what I really needed was a 6'10 or 7'0 alternator but hey it's almost summer and this will make a great town board.

So far I tried my AM2's which were are a nice predictable all-around fin that i like in shortboards and guns. They worked out pretty well but seemed to hang up in the lip a bit. Getting the impression that this board doesn't like thrusters. Had it out in 6' glassy perfect Makapuu and stuck the nose on the drop a couple times before I figured it out that I didn't belong at the peak. Rode the inside wall just fine and very predictable on the steep walls.

Next I tried Controllers from Hawaiian South Shore at 4-6' Houltons and still had trouble making the drops, but the next day I came back when it was 3-4' and ended up having a blast. Controllers were squirrely going straight and no top-end speed no matter how much I pumped, but so far they are unmatched in their ability to flick the board up into the lip over and over again and lend themselves to a more aggressive style.

I checked out some Elevons from Surf Garage and paired them up with plastic vector trailers to make a quad set and took them out to 2foot Irmas and was really surprised how much ground I could cover on such a small board on small waves. They were loose and pivoted well, but sliding the tail was very difficult in those conditions and they seem better suited for racing down the line and carving. Would love to try these out at a long fast pointbreak because the speed was quite remarkable. They are $200 from the local shop so it's not likely that I'll buy some, but if they ever come up on craigslist or ebay for a reasonable price i'll pick up some for sure.

Speaking of craigslist there's a guy selling Scarfini fins for about $20 less than you would buy in a shop, but my guess is they are factory rejects because they have a lot of bubbles inside them, not that it would affect performance much. I bought a twin fin + trailer (not keel) setup from him for $55 and will get to try them out tomorrow on the first good south swell of the year. So far they fit in the boxes nice and tight and according to the web specs have more area that the t1's that the guys around here seem to love on the Spitfire. I'm guessing that's probably ok since i have a little more area on me than those guys if you know what i mean.

Forgot to mention tried the Panchos at 3-5' with occ+ Pupes on a northerly swell and while they were great for throwing down deep rail carves the board was incredibly slow as soon as I ran out of vertical face. Got hung up in the lip a couple times trying to make the drop as well. I'm pretty sure I don't like this board as a tri, at least in the traditional sense. Then again my taste leans more toward fast and loose and I'm a big fan of fishes, but while those shapes are wonderful for San Diego and New England pointbreaks the traditional deep swallow and beefy rails are a force-fit in Hawaiian waters.

Comment

Did you try the Rusty's 5 fin?

Comment

Is that FCS AM2's, or Futures? I assume Futures given what you have said, but just checking.

I like the Dom as a thruster and would think much the same would apply to the Apit. I'd simply suggest a slightly smaller and more upright fin than the GAM's (AM2 in Futures). I'm thinking of trying the k3's, which seem to be similar to the GAM, but smaller. Is there a Futures equivalent? Or just go with PC7 sides and a PC 3 centre? That'd really loosen things up!

Comment

Haven't tried the rusty 5 fin yet but maybe that's up next. Today was miserable. Good waves coming through but between the howling sideshores and the super flexi Scarfini twins I couldn't make a decent bottom turn. Was really wanting those controllers tonight. So far they are my favorite.

Maybe the Scarfinis would be good for micro mush, but part of me wants to put a layer of carbon fiber on the inside and the other part of me wants to relist on Craigs. The long rake and the flex made the board really smooth, but nowhere near enough drive. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Comment

Borrowed the Simon Anderson quad set and I think we have a winner for North Shore. Gas Chambers 4' with bigger sets and they held no problem. Very solid and predictable with plenty of drive to get around the sections, while also loose enough to explore the vertical sections. Best session I've had yet. Will go back tomorrow to see if they work on the smaller stuff, too.

Comment

Love to try the Simons , we still cant get them here. My Brother is looking for a set of SA-4s on Oahu

Comment

Funny you mention it but now I can't find them either. I guess the futures rep was at blue planet today so hopefully that's a good sign. Might try the controllers again tomorrow and see how they work in town on the smaller waves now that country season is winding up.

Comment

did a quick test going back to controllers. they are better suited for a fish shape. no question, simon quads all the way.

Comment

still waiting for simon quads to come in and a late season swell meant I'm using what I got. am2 thrusters do surprisingly well when the waves are pumping. kept it a lot looser but still plenty of drive and fast enough. not so fun when the shoulder went limp, though. they really need a vertical face on this board.

Comment

Yeah beetles. keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X