X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Quad set up with Spitfire?

Just got a spitfire 6'4" and asked the questionin the spitfire section, but didn't realize there was a fin section, so here I am.

I am about 185 lbs and surf south OC from Creek to Trestles down to Churches. I am 42 and surf like it, more flowy vs aggressive style, that's why I prefer fishy and quAds. I have a set of AM2 fronts and the Future 375 quad rears. Here:

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=152

Would this set up work fairly well for me?

TIA

Yeah Barny, you are pretty much covered there!

Comment

Yeah give those a try and then work out what you like and don't like then you can get after your next set...

I personally like a more upright fin in my Dom or spit, but it's completely personal!

Comment

Upright quad fins are my choice also, like the Rusty quad 3.85 fin from the Rusty 5 fin set. I pair them with the AM-2 4.79 fronts... Loose and pivoty when I want it.

in the past I inserted the sidebites (@3.23 rears) were a little too loose, not enough hold when bottom turning or a quick pump for speed. they worked fine on a different board that is now broken already I am saving those fins for my kids.
        My V2 F4 fins (w/ 3.75 rears) did not have not quite enough drive for a small wave. I might combo those into something else or (I am saving those fins for my kids.)
        My Tim stamps quads (w/4.0 rears) work/hold great down the line with big carves, but dont loosen up enough on the tail slides.

Comment

amen Fritz

Comment

Update, I like my AM2, but I am buddies with a shaper and just realized he can get me futures fins super cheap so looking to try another type of fin. What would you guys recommend, in other words a couple sets which are totally different than the AM2 set up?

Comment

Lucky!

Comment

Try the Rusty quads...I use the FCS version (R2) and really like them; loose and fast. But I also use a small knubster like stabilizer to get the more pivotal feel of a thruster. I use this set up in my dom, spit and hellfire.

Comment

Any thoughts on getting a set of controllers for the spitfire, or is that fin too big and rakey for the spitfire?

Comment

Think I am going to order the following and play around with different combos:

Solus
                    WCT
                    Rusty 5 fin

Comment

Originally posted by barney View Post
                      Any thoughts on getting a set of controllers for the spitfire, or is that fin too big and rakey for the spitfire?
                      I tried indo fin controllers on my Dom and didn't like them so much. I seemed to "stick" on top turns. I only tried them a couple of times in tiny surf, but I wasn't impressed enough to seek to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by barney View Post
                        Think I am going to order the following and play around with different combos:

Solus
                        WCT
                        Rusty 5 fin
                        Right on!!!!!. Guaranteed you'll be surfing those Solus quite often!!!!. That little "hatchet" makes the magic
                        Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

yeah buzzy, the controllers, while they get a ton of positive feedback, are a bit different than a standard quad set and have a ton of area! they have what I term a progressive retro feel to them!!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            yeah buzzy, the controllers, while they get a ton of positive feedback, are a bit different than a standard quad set and have a ton of area! they have what I term a progressive retro feel to them!!

Cheers
                            I tried them and didn't like them so much, but then again I like loose and slidey and these definitely stick in. Talked with this guy at a shop today who likes to run SA4's with 3.7 quad rears for the regular stuff and just the straight up SA4's on his pipe gun. Saw on Amazon they are selling the carbon fiber elevon 3.7 rears for $50, but I'll probably try the cheap ones first starting out with the 4.0 rears and shaving them down with a belt sander until they feel right since I probably have 50 pounds on that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                              Right on!!!!!. Guaranteed you'll be surfing those Solus quite often!!!!. That little "hatchet" makes the magic
                              Attachment
                              On Iggys say so I just bought a set of Solus but....they are MIA in the post...I think my postie surfs???
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X