Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should! I can put you on to the guy I got my first set from in the US. He gets them sent in bulk from Soar in Aus and it works out better than buying direct from Aus.
    He's the only distributor in the US as far as I know anyway.

The way he described them to me is that it feels like your board and find are one entity working together rather than it being just your board and the your fins attached to the board.
    Id say it was a good description. Same way glass ons feel I guess.

Comment

Hey PRJ - how is the profile of the DL compared to your G-AMs?

I'm looking for alternatives with similar drive before shelling out 75 on a pair of new G-AMs.

Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

They are actually fairly similar right up to the last 10mm of the tip of the GAM where the DLs stop the GAMs keep going into a longer, thinner tip.
        The DXL could be worth a look if you want a bigger fin. Those are what Owen Wright uses, although he has a little shaved off his.

Comment

I should try to find a set....

Comment

Cheers PRJ.

Any chance you could PM me the details of your guy selling them in the US if that's ok?

Comment

The guy I get mine from is about to put in an order, do you want a set?

Comment

Cheers for the offer bru. Got a mate in WA sending me a set.

Comment

hey westy, only just saw your previous message somehow, my original reply was to chris, ha!
                  if you're still interested let me know and i'll send his details over.

Comment

playing the middle man! I like it!

Comment

Haha, I'd put up his contact details here but dunno if he'd like that. I'll ask him actually, it would makes it easier for anyone interested.

Comment

no worries, its good. makes the forum more valuable.

Comment

I was looking at the powerbase fins and need some help in which fin to get. With their quad set DXLs, DL the rear fin is taller but not as wide as the front fins, what does this achieve. Are the front fins more drive and hold, and the rear pivot and a little hold. If i wanted more drive and hold for bigger waves could I just put bigger front fins in or is it better to go up equally front and back. They have DXLs and DMs which are more standard front and back size. I wanted to mix match some fins, so some help would would be great.

Comment

I'm not too sure about quads to be honest. Could be worth dropping them an email in the contact section to see what they suggest?

Comment

I did what you said Prj and emailed Powerbase fins and this was his response.

Information about size is not correct.
                              There were typo on the web site and it has been fixed.
                              We offer various combinations of quad fins based on our 4 shapes.
                              We always have the larger fin as the front twin fins. This is either DXL (XL
                              is for extra large) or DL (L is for large).

The rear fins for quads are offered as DM (M is for medium) or DS (S is for
                              small). With Powerbase fins it is important that the correct fin is used in
                              the rear for quads. Our centre fins will only fit into centre fin boxes
                              because of the orientation of the screws (alternate on centers) and the
                              angle associated with the Powerbase. Our side fins will only fit into side
                              fin boxes for the same reasons.

If you are ordering Powerbase quads it is important to know which boxes have
                              been used for the rear fins.

The front fins of the quad setup act like twin fins. They bury deep into the
                              water and give great holding power. They are positioned around your back
                              foot which gives a very short turning arc. The rear fins in quads lengthen
                              this turning arc to provide more drive than a traditional twin fin.

The size of fins is more a function of the weight of the surfer. Bigger
                              surfers need bigger fins. There is always some crossover with personal
                              preference on size of fin and surfing style. 1 size does not fit all.

With your weight at 85kg riding a big thick round tail use the DXL front
                              fins with DM rears for a setup with more drive or use DS rears for a looser
                              small wave kind of set up.

I don't usually get involved in forums but this information may help others
                              make better selections for themselves.

Best regards

Comment

Good info and good customer support from them!
                                I'm considering a set of DS as some quad rears for a SP.

Comment

Working...
                                X