X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soar Powerbase Fins

I just received my new set of Powerbase Soar fins. They are the DL template which is the go to template for a vast number of pro surfers, including Taj and the late AI, who use glass ons. Owen Wright is also a Powerbase team rider and using the larger DXL template fin and the Powerbase fin boxes.
    www.powerbasefins.com.au
    www.soarfin.com
    There are 3 materials available. Electra, which is the softest flex pattern, Amour which is the medium and apparently very much like glass ons, and then the Ceramic material which is stiffer again. I believe it is similar in feel to G10 material. I went for the Armour tech.
    The fins have a flanged base like that of a glassed on fin and pull down into the plugs as you screw them in which prevents the movement at the base of the fins. That should lead to a more immediate response, increased drive etc.

After surfing them, initial impressions are very good. They feel very connected to your board, no delayed response and no give. Very solid as I imagine glass ons are. Template feels good too, very neutral. Lots of drive from the stiff base thanks to the Powerbase tech, and then good release due to a nice bit of flex in the tip. They honestly feel like a step up from all other FCS fins I've used.

good stuff. how is the weight?

Comment

Very light I think. I'll whip them out in a bit and weigh them alongside a set of PC K3s. I'm thinking of ordering another set soon in the Ceramic material to see how the super stiff ones feel.

Comment

Then you have scarfini fins which offer their line on both Futures and FCS...and also glass on
        http://www.scarfinifins.co.za/index....php&category=1
        Last edited by iggy; 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

i heard good things about scarfini's....but car park talk so who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            good stuff. how is the weight?
            I know this was a while ago but just did some weighing.

Soar DL Armour - 22.7g
            FCS K3 Performance Core - 20.5g
            FCS G-AM Glass Flex - 23.7g
            FCS S25L Performance Core - 20.0g
            FCS K2.1 Quad Rears - 10.7g
            FCS MRTFX Twin Fibreglass - 22.5g
            Firewire Deviant Rear - 8.8g

So I guess the Soars are pretty average on weight, but considering there is a little bit more to the fin then they are fairly light. I've got a set of the stiffer, Ceramic fins on they way. They might be a touch heavier, we'll see.
            Surprised at how light the large S25s were. They came out the lightest of the thruster sets. I had a set of JS-1 fins and they were really light but I sold them a couple of weeks ago so can't weigh them.

Comment

good stuff Prj!

Comment

My local surf shop just came back from an Aus trip where they were sourcing new products for the shop as well as checking in with the Aus shapers on new models etc. I told then to try and get in touch with Greg at Soar to check out the fins.
                Anyway, they messaged me yesterday saying to pop into the shop because they brought me back a set as a gift. How cool is that.
                Not sure if they got them from Greg or if they blagged them from JS. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick them up.
                Down The Line in Hayle, Cornwall though folks. Friendly folks who will look after you!
                Stoked

Comment

New toys to play with... like Christmas!!

Comment

Attachment
                    New set, very nice! They had a DL (large) set and a DS (small) set for me to choose between. The DL is my size, but the DS would have been handy as a smaller rear thruster fin and two smaller quad rears but I couldn't resist the proper size thruster set.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is like "removable glass on fins!!!"

Comment

Yeah they are very cool.

Comment

yeah look cool. and they don't ride or feel heavy on the board??

Comment

Nope not at all, they feel light and free actually!

Comment

nice....may have to try a set...

Comment

Working...
                              X