• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless fin system

Something I came across while reading this month's edition of Surfer Mag
    https://www.fin-s.com/technology.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQw1F...layer_embedded

Comment

Can't see how you'd get a solid base stiffness with that kind of thing though. That's why I like the Powerbase over FCS and Futures, rather than relying on the snugg fit of the box with a horizontal screw to hold in place, you have downward pressure pining the fin to the board.

I'd be paranoid if I didn't have any screws in to be honest!

Comment

i can see myself losing them on the reefs here...just sitting there you drop down boils onto the rocks and tear into your fin tips from all angles... usually tail first, and that looks like it will knock them out for sure...

Comment

Agreed there!!! just found interesting the new approach.Besides,th fin selection is very poor

Comment

still shows where we might be headed down the line though..would make life easier..!!..i hardly change fins because i'm too lazy to "screw around"..!!

Comment

join the club!!!In my case I'm afraid to drew the screw by screwing too much!! ;)

Comment

yeah not for me yet....
                I wonder what the weight is like.

Comment

Epoxy resin. 3 fins on a board. 2 fins on a board. Removable fins on a board. How ridiculous! It will never catch on. Neither will leg ropes, aerials or surfing in Brazil!
                  And we now all know that 3 fins will never match the "unsurpassed speed and drive of a single fin" (sic) (Actually you can - when riding a thruster; its called stalling.)
                  As kids, our generation asked 'why?' - Our kids ask 'why not?' Damm they are clever in their subtle manipulation of our teachings.

And if your reef break can reach up, push a fin forward then get a good grip under the tip and pull it out - you are probably surfing somewhere very, very evil. (ps lie down over shallow boils, or give offerings to the evil reef so it doesn't boil your screwed-in fins and then you won't have to repair or replace them anyway)
                  And what is 'solid base stiffness' apart from a marketing line futuresfins came up with? Clearly its nothing that Kelly Slater needs. If it is actually important, then I guess if he was on futures, he would have even won the title in the years he was off tour as well.
                  (I actually love my large HS Futuresfins more than any other fin. They feel like they are not even there, but hold and slide when I imagine I should)

Has anyone who has posted a comment in this thread actually seen the system in the flesh/fibreglass?
                  No. Then shame on you. It is a miracle that there there is a forum for a surfboard technology known as Firewire!
                  Sure there's not a lot of choice in templates, but there wasn't a whole lot of choice here at the start either. No I am not a rep for the fins.
                  And I do think that if Chris had posted the original info on this and said Firewire were going to offer the system in their boards, there would have been more positive responses.
                  Surfers are renown for being the most conservative bunch of rebels on the planet.

I better go now, and would like to thank "2010 Devil's Rid** Shiraz for this outburst.
                  Feel the Love. Keep an open mind. (they make other good wines too)

Comment

hey sarge....the hangover kicked in yet...???

Comment

Yeah.
                      What a rant. Last night I thought I was quite witty!

I didn't say last night that I was the last person in my surfing circle to stop riding a single fin.
                      I also kept wearing skins when I switched over to snowboarding from skiing. And that happened after many many years of ridiculing snowboarders as an inferior race.

Admittedly there is little chance of me trying out this keyless system. I just don't get that tired from 8 turns each way on 6 small grub screws. 1/2 that on my futuresfins. The biggest downside for me is deciding which fins to swap in. And while mentally draining, I use the short run to the water's edge to recover.

Comment

Working...
                      X