X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewires front footed surfers !

So many new Firewire models which is great.

I used to think the ElFuego was THE FW board for front footed surfers.

Now the Elf is only available by special order and a lot of the new range like the Potato's and Unibrow look like boards for back footed surfers.

Which of the new range are boards suited for a front footed surfer (learnt on single fins)?

Thanks

Chubby chedda has the wide point slightly forward, think Chris said its kind I between an ef and an alternator, plus it looks really nice

Comment

The Jacknife would have to be front footed - it's a very slightly tweaked Futura, and the Futura is a front footed board.

Comment

I think the Taj, ProFileV1 and Michel Bourez boards suit a front footed approach well.

Comment

...and the Mini driver too. That looks to suit a front footed surfer.

Comment

The HPS shorboards are definitely a little more refined than what I would consider standout front footed boards, but in todays surf world, everythign seems to be getting wider and flatter. The result are boards that work great even under front foot loading!

The El Fuego is one of my favorites though and I can say that the Unibrow and Vanguard work well under front foot...

Cheers!

Comment

So how to tell if you are front or rear footed surfer? Are you a back footed surfer(natural stance) if your left foot stays neutral and you push with right foot through a turn(cutback)Or if you right foot stays neutral and your left foot pulls you through a turn(cutback)

Suncoast

Comment

Originally posted by suncoastslop View Post
                So how to tell if you are front or rear footed surfer? Are you a back footed surfer(natural stance) if your left foot stays neutral and you push with right foot through a turn(cutback)Or if you right foot stays neutral and your left foot pulls you through a turn(cutback)

Suncoast
                If you listen to Nick Carroll (brother of Tom) there are no front or back footed surfers....buggered if I know what I am so I tend to agree with him.

Comment

I dunno, I think you can really see heavy back footed surfers that ride with their weight back over the rear foot. I tend to get my weight forward over my front foot when driving off the bottom.

Comment

From what I can tell front footed surfers often dislike boards with a larger tail as they spin out out on a big bottom turn so tend to go for narrower tails and/or bigger fins.
                    I think I have tended to react to the board I am riding most of the time. I think I used to be more of a front foot surfer when I surfed a more traditional thruster more frequently however after surfing my Dom for a while (which requires the rider to be right over the tail to get the most out of it) I have been surfing off my back foot more.

Comment

Robin- Thanks for that viewpoint. Makes sense to me. It seems I have surfed both ways front and back, if your description is accurate, depending on the setup I am riding.
                      I'm gonna guess quads work best with back footed, and thrusters with front... only my experience to go by.

Comment

Yeah that is really fair insight. Wide tails do require that you get your weight back in order to truly control the board and get maximum performance...

Comment

Working...
                        X