X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surface area

when looking at the surface area on two boards should they be around the same for the two boards you're targeting?? ex. a 5'6 potatonator and 5'11 hellrazor and 5'10 cc have the same surface area.. will they float you similiarly but perform best in their target conditions?

I think that the stability is another important factor. I was looking at my boards and my 602 Alt has way more volume that my 508 sub scorcher but the same stability and almost the same surface area. But the Alt paddles way better and feels more stable. I think it’s due the Vol and extra length. My PN is the same area more vol and is shorter than the sub and also paddles better. The stability is higher and the board is much easier to surf.
    I think all the factors have to be taken into consideration. The board formula is a great tool to get all the info to try to have boards for different conditions but feeling similar.

Comment

hey kdropin,

yeah i think generally speaking that is a fair statement, however I would argue that surface area is a little less general than volume because surface area is a function of 2 dimensions, while volume is 3. So looking at surface area doesn't tell you quite as much about a board as volume does. take it into consideration alongside all the other pieces.

Comment

I'm not sure cause I only know what feels right for me, but I don't think the surface area is as equivalent to how the boards float as to the volume. the HR would be at extreme ends w the PN and the CC would be the mix of both. You would also have to consider where the wide point is on the board in relation to how the user paddles.

I also think, but not sure, is that the stability is more relevant to surface area combined w how the volume is distributed thru the board. The end result is left up to the surfer and what he/ she is most comfortable riding in various types of waves.

Comment

Would love to see a table with all the stats, including surface area and stability. It may be easiest to simply add them to 'by volume' list/page. Data geeks (like me) could them copy the table and play with it any way we like. Just a thought. BTW: the forums are back up! YEAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Tescot View Post
            Would love to see a table with all the stats, including surface area and stability. It may be easiest to simply add them to 'by volume' list/page. Data geeks (like me) could them copy the table and play with it any way we like. Just a thought. BTW: the forums are back up! YEAH!
            try the board formula

Comment

• Tescot
              Tescot commented
              Editing a comment
              I have tried the board formula, but the only place the surface area is shown is in the board comparison.
              I have copied the volumes chart, pasted it in a spreadsheet, added a few columns, and started filling in the data when I compare boards.
              Have most of the boards from 48L to 59L entered. Added columns include surface area, stability, nose and tail dimensions.
          Working...
          X