Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Firewire Board for Beginning Shortboarder?

Hello I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Firewire board for a beginner shorboarder. I surf mostly in Maui and Im going to Bali soon and would like to bring a new board. I'm 6'2" and 185 pounds. I was surfing a 5'10" hypto krytpo for the past month and I found it to be good volume but a bit too small of a board. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

6.6 Addvance would be good

Comment

I can recommend this shortboard for beginners. The Short board surfboard specification are as follows :-

Glass job 2 x4 oz. on the deck
      1 x 4 oz. on the bottom.
      Wet rubbed finish.
      Low boxed rails
      Dual concaves
      Medium tail lift
      Wave size. 2'ft to 8'ft
      Tri-fin configuration
      Fin not included

Comment

A 6.0 or 6.2 dominator would be a good transition board at your height and weight and give you a bit more help getting started than the hypto did. It will work better on flatter faced waves though so could be a bit tricky at some of the more technical Bali breaks (Ulu's for example). Once you have the Dom nailed you might want to look at something a bit more HP down the line.

Comment

I broke through the wall of short boards. I experimented with about 10 boards. All sizes. Hands down the 6'2 vanguard is the best choice. It's SO stable and likes late drops. Wide and paddles amazing.

Comment

Second choice is a Fish or twin fin. Here are some of my boards. I would not recommend any performance board until you master a fish or Vanguard.

Comment

Dominator or spitfire. Super forgiving and extremely versatile.

Comment

Working...
              X