Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float compared with Stretch Surfboards

Hi all,

I have never had a Firewire surfboard. I am used to Stretch surfboards (made in Santa Cruz) with 2 lb EPS foam and s-glass with epoxy resin. How would a board with the same volume compare in float? Is it true the different Firewire technologies float about the same? I am wanting a fishy board for waves 2-6 feet that are kind of mushy. Thanks!

Jeff

Pretty much, because volume is volume, even if a board was so light it weighed nothing it isn't really going to float you that much more unless you are only very light like 30kg in the first place (if it weighed nothing that is a saving of 2-3kg in total weight) where that would be around 6-10% of total weight of board and surfer.

The savings of course in the real world are maybe at best 1kg of board weight over a heavier PU board so all things being equal if the board were 1kg lighter for the same volume and it was your ideal volume, it just means you can put on another 1kg and still maintain ideal buoyancy! I doubt you'll find much difference between weight of a Stretch and a FW.

Comment

Thanks,

That is a helpful thought and puts things in perspective. I weigh 200lbs and since I am used to riding eps foam, I know I need to get slightly larger dimensions for a pu board, as I do notice the slight difference. It sounds like there is minimal difference between the same board in rapidfire with 1.5 lb eps and 1 lb eps/ FST, and I guess what I am used to with 2lb eps?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
        Pretty much, because volume is volume, even if a board was so light it weighed nothing it isn't really going to float you that much more unless you are only very light like 30kg in the first place (if it weighed nothing that is a saving of 2-3kg in total weight) where that would be around 6-10% of total weight of board and surfer.

The savings of course in the real world are maybe at best 1kg of board weight over a heavier PU board so all things being equal if the board were 1kg lighter for the same volume and it was your ideal volume, it just means you can put on another 1kg and still maintain ideal buoyancy! I doubt you'll find much difference between weight of a Stretch and a FW.
        I have 3 Stretch boards...and one on the way. My 6'5 is lighter than the equivalent FW but my 6'2 is heavier, my 6'3 somewhere in between. It really depends on the density of the blank and glassing. I get 6x6 on the deck rather than the standard 6 x 4 ... I dont think you can compare the two unless you hold the FW you are considering compared to your Stretch..

Comment

Working...
        X