X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Calc with Wetsuit/booties

I'm really liking the volume calculator, it seems pretty accurate. What is the consensus on adding weight for a wetsuit/booties? When wet, they probably add on about 10 pounds, I guess that this should effect a final volume decision ( it probably has for me in the past). What do you think?

i leave some wiggle room for all my rubber in my calculations

Comment

I never bother. Neoprene floats, it isn't dead weight when it's in the water and you are paddling. When you get up all the water runs off! I reckon 5 lbs at most.

Comment

Well I tend to use quite thick wetsuits and stay on the mid low scale of the volume calculator and have never had an issue with it.Once on the wave is when you might feel the difference but again, staying away from the bottom of the volume calculator will have you safe. Volume calculator is generic, is a guide. Every single case is unique and depends on several variables

Comment

Yeah i think its a little hard to quantify exactly, but I will say that I do think wetsuits have a little bit of an impact. Even when I walk up the beach, get to my car and take my suit off, boots and gloves, there is likely between 10 and 15 pounds of neoprene and rubber. I wear 5/4 wetsuits and 7mm boots and gloves so its the ultra coldweather setup. That said, when I get to my feet on my 600 Alternator, I am likely closer to 190lbs than 175lbs, which ultimately has a little bit of an impact.

I don't however, buy more volume for my winter boards because I find that I get used to my ideal volume and can make it work just fine. I also choose to buy in my boards in the middle of my range and I find that gives me the most usability for my board. Occasionally I will grab a travel board that is on the lower end, but all my daily drivers are around the middle or what is suggested for my weight/ability. This works great for me, but there are certainly other factors involved that may be worth considering.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Yeah i think its a little hard to quantify exactly, but I will say that I do think wetsuits have a little bit of an impact. Even when I walk up the beach, get to my car and take my suit off, boots and gloves, there is likely between 10 and 15 pounds of neoprene and rubber. I wear 5/4 wetsuits and 7mm boots and gloves so its the ultra coldweather setup. That said, when I get to my feet on my 600 Alternator, I am likely closer to 190lbs than 175lbs, which ultimately has a little bit of an impact.

I don't however, buy more volume for my winter boards because I find that I get used to my ideal volume and can make it work just fine. I also choose to buy in my boards in the middle of my range and I find that gives me the most usability for my board. Occasionally I will grab a travel board that is on the lower end, but all my daily drivers are around the middle or what is suggested for my weight/ability. This works great for me, but there are certainly other factors involved that may be worth considering.

Cheers
            yep same as what i do.. shoot the middle of my range.. speaking of heavy rubber.. just picked up a xcel powerseam 5mm seems bulletproof

Comment

Yeah Sydney is a very temperate place, I find a 3/2 steamer is the maximum I need in winter so not going to have the same impact.

Comment

I would totally agree with Chris and Iggy on the staying in the middle vol range.
                I also run a 5/4 boots gloves for most of the year. I just got into Firewire s last year and made a couple of mistakes on been over volumed thinking must add litres for the wettie.
                I found that be honest with yourself about fitness ability. The calculator is pritty spot on. I run in the middle of my range on my new boards and they are all great. I don't add for the sute.

My alt is over sized but it's 602 version of a 700 semi gun for me.

Comment

i like their new volume app... it gives volumes for good waves and weak waves.. perfect for us ec surfers.. my volumes always seemed a lil bit towards the higher range but once you put them into the weaker waves category they are spot on for the waves we surf here the majority of the time

Comment

Working...
                  X