Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi guys, am new to firewire and I will be ordering a SPITFIRE by this week for the weaker wind swells near me. Hope to clarify on the usage of the Volume Calculator. E.g. I am 5'8 and 65 kg and I consider myself intermediate (low or early entry). The cal gave me a min of 21.5 and max of 27.9. As specified by Firewire, the max volume will be a reference to the optimum volume of my hybrid / pure stoke boards. Since the SPITFIRE is a performance hybrid and as a rule of thumb, it should be less user friendly than a hybrid / pure stoke. Therefore, I should slightly adjust this max volume (add a few more) to identify the performance hybrid board that suits me. Am I right to make such an assumption ?

Appreciate any kind of help / advice.
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

I'd say you'd be looking in the 5'6" range. 5'4" if you wanted to go small.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffton View Post
        hi guys, am new to firewire and I will be ordering a SPITFIRE by this week for the weaker wind swells near me. Hope to clarify on the usage of the Volume Calculator. E.g. I am 5'8 and 65 kg and I consider myself intermediate (low or early entry). The cal gave me a min of 21.5 and max of 27.9. As specified by Firewire, the max volume will be a reference to the optimum volume of my hybrid / pure stoke boards. Since the SPITFIRE is a performance hybrid and as a rule of thumb, it should be less user friendly than a hybrid / pure stoke. Therefore, I should slightly adjust this max volume (add a few more) to identify the performance hybrid board that suits me. Am I right to make such an assumption ?

Appreciate any kind of help / advice.
        Thanks in advance.
        5'6" will be my call considering what you just said

Comment

Hi PRJ and Iggy,

You guys have been very helpful throughout the forum.
          Thanks.

Comment

Hi PRJ and Iggy,

Thanks.
            Hey Cliffton, where abouts in Malaysia are you? Up west towards the Andaman Sea somewhere? Just curious about the waves you might be riding.

Comment

hi Slowman,

I am living in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. But we get to surf the monsoon months in the east coast from Nov - Feb (Tioman, Cherating, Kijal just to name a few).
              When the season is off, we usually travel to surf destinations like Bali, Phuket or some fun size spots in Sumatera.

Regards,
              Cliff

Comment

Yeah been to KL for work. Heard of east coast places like Cherating. I thought KL was nice but was only there a week and didn't get to see much.

Comment

Hi PRJ and Iggy,

Thanks.
                  Anytime buddy, that's what this forum is all about

Comment

Anyone having issues with the new volume calculator?
                    it's telleing me it cannot recommend a board - maybe it's seen me surf!
                    the new format looks real good though.

Comment

if you work in lbs you should be ok. currently trying to iron out a problem with kgs giving very low if not negative volume numbers.

Comment

It has me a little high I think. I'm 46yoa and close enough to 200lbs. I'm reasonably fit, but not fit by the standards of a strong everyday surfer. I'd call myself an intermediate. I suspect my volume range woould be 35-36 at the bottom end, and 45 at the top, although I find the Dom at 41.5 or whatever it is has ample float in pretty much the smallest waves.

I'm offering that constructively by the way as I reckon the concept of the refinements is absolutely fantastic. A lot rides on a pretty subjective assessment of fitness and skill to make it work. We all know some hopelessly overestimate, and others under rate themselves.

Comment

yeah guys, the volume calculator is a starting point meant to help people "get in the ballpark." It will never be perfect for everyone unfortunately, but that's just the way it goes. It is a super useful tool though in my opinion.

Cheers all!!

Comment

Hi, where does the hi performance hybrids fit into the volume calculator, coz the MIN is for shortboards and MAX for Hybrids and pure stoke. Maybe I'm just missing something..

Comment

I would say for something like the HellRazor you'd be looking at standard HPSB volume, for the Hellfire, similar to maybe slightly more, for Spitfire an extra couple of litres then then a few more as you head into the Pure Stoke range.
                              Certainly no rules, I'm riding a lower volume hybrid than HPSB at the minute but find them to paddle similarly due to the increased volume under chest on the shorterboard.

I think you have to use the calculator as a guide and make your own adjustments based on preference and instinct because everyone surfs different breaks and has different preferences with their boards. The calculator does give a nice ball park range to be eyeing up boards in though.

Comment

great, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X