X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving the volume calculator

Just like to say the "volume calculator" is a great tool...It really allows the less technical amongst us to do a good comparison about what should be the approximate size to choose based on weight. Better still, being able to go through all the boards and work out the ideal size for each and comparing them is an added bonus....I played around with about 4 boards and it was pretty spot on...e.g when looking at the hellfire I worked out the ideal size was around 2" longer than the dominator and then read the blurb on the Hellfire and this is what is also recommended. Also, my Alternator is 4" longer than the Dominator which seems to also concur with the volume calculator.

IMHO this is a real bonus to Firewire and something terribly lacking with all other manufacturers to my knowledge. This is particularly useful for those of us carrying a few extra pounds to understand we can still ride smaller boards and fairly accurately estimate the ideal size for the weight.

Just one more reason to justify purchasing a Firewire over other brands.

thanks for the positive feedback, we appreciate it, glad you find the tool useful

Comment

How do you factor in your height with the calculator? I'm 6'5 190 (very thin), it seems like I'd need a different board than someone of my same ability who was 5'6." i've heard before that you should pick the length of your board based on your height and the waves, and the volume based on your weight? it would be great if there was a way to add height to the board calculator. thanks for any help!

Comment

With the new models you could find boards that will suit similar conditions but which have been twicked so you could have same volume but adding or subtracting few inches.
        Height is definitely something to consider when choosing a board

Comment

Yes the taller you are the bigger the lever, so you can throw around a board of extra length a bit better than a guy of the same weight who is shorter. So far the volumes and lengths have been pretty good for me.

Comment

yeah height is mostly a separate issue and unless your in the top ten then you need to find what works for you in a standard shortboard then adjust hybrid lengths etc from there...for most guys its minimum same as your height to 2 maybe 3 inches longer...for you guys on stilts it often comes back to around your height...stance and leg length factor here too....

Comment

hey bagel dog,
              yeah I do think you make subtly different decisions in order to accommodate for stance, but I think lets say in the dominator, if you are a competent surfer, at 195 and 6'5, you would have no problem having a good go on the 510 or the 600.

The idea with volume is that is that it helps people match the AMOUNT of board needed with their weight! If you bought a dominator based on your height, you might be on a 606 and that would be WAY too much volume for your weight potentially...

That being said, you do have to increase length slightly to deal with personal preferences and your stance, but you shouldn't go crazy.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

It looks pretty good to me. What I've personally found though I'd that as I age I need a bit more foam. I'm not surfing any less well but my takeoff isnt as quick as it used to be, and I need a tad more foam to assist that. The calculator doesn't factor age (say 40 or 45 plus) into the equation.

That said, if I plug in my weight as an intermediate the range looks about right for say an SP through to an Alt.

Comment

Agree the volume calculator is pretty good. One criticism I have though has to do with ability level. Because surfing is still quite an organic (don't mean that in a hippy way) sport there is no uniform set of criteria that defines where beginner, intermediate and advanced begin and end and for this reason and one person's definition will vary wildly to somebody else's. At what point, for instance, are you advanced? When you can consistently link turns and do proper roundhouse cutbacks? Or is surfing to the point where all of that is now considered basic and do you need to do be able to pull of airs and stuff?

Cheers, CH
                  6'2" Dominator
                  6'4" Hellfire
                  6'5" HellRazor
                  Last edited by CaptainH; 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM. Reason: Original thread was written poorly and not very clear

Comment

Do you guys do naked weight or factor in 5 pounds for your wetsuit?

Comment

first thing in morning, butt nekkid and no food or water etc...only way to be consistent....then factor food, water and wetty's...dont forget, if you gulp a liter of water there's a kilo right there...!!

Comment

thanks guys. I have a 6'4 stealth which i think is the right size for me. maybe the 6'2 would be better, but I'm happy enough with what I've got. I actually have a 6'6 dominator which I got for a small wave board...and you're right, its WAY too big. It rides almost like a funboard for me, and I often spin out when i try to do a sharp bottom turn. not to mention I can't duck dive it in any surf of consequence. for reference, I'm probably what's considered advanced beginner, I can do weak cutbacks and weak ass floaters and half-snaps...the calculator put my minimum volume at 39 (if beginner) and 39 for a max at intermediate, so I'd say its spot on, as thats the volume right where my stealth is at. I'm guessing the 6'2 dominator is what I should be on. I want to get an alternator for the bigger days (I find the fatter tailed, less rockered boards pretty scary on take offs when it gets steep, so need something more traditional), should I keep the same volume? that wouuld be a 6'8 alternator for me. wasn't sure if I should go slightly up or slightly down on volume as the boards and surf got more serious. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I think the fact that FW has the volume on all boards is a great tool
                          Especially after you have been riding them for a while
                          It minimizes that stab in the dark decision when it comes to buying a board without looking at it first
                          How many times do you order from a shaper and get something either too big or small
                          (probably my fault)
                          Gives me more confidence in ordering and getting what I want

Comment

Bageldog, I suspect the 6'6" Alt would be ideal at your weight.

Comment

Sorry, just saw you're an advanced beginner. If so the 6'8" would be the better length.

Comment

Working...
                              X