Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire volume comparison?

Hi guys,
    I have a question in regards to the volume of firewire surfboards. I recently brought a 5'7 Chubby Chedda @ 25.5 litres. After comparing my Chedda to 5'7 Rusty and a 5'8 Super both at 25.45 litres, I noticed that even though the Chubby is the same volume it seems way less chunky.

I am wondering why the Firewire seems to have less foam than the other boards of the same volume?
    Are the Firewires (FST) more dense and therefore seem smaller than standard boards?
    Could the way that the company measures the volume vary giving different measurements?

My theory is, with FST you have the balsa taking up nearly an inch of width and the deck and bottom skins prob accounting for 3/8" of thickness, so the EPS foam that provides the float is of less area than a pure foam board of identical shape.
    That said its 1lb eps so much lighter than typical surfboard foam so swings back the balance.

Comment

So would it be a good idea to go slightly more volume than usual in a firewire, compared to what you would ride in a standard glass board?

Comment

No, because eps is lighter and more buoyant than poly foam anyway. I'd say unless you were currently riding you rock bottom lowest volume or are super critical with boards, as long as you're within 1 litre up or down it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Thanks Prjwebb,
          So basically the boards with the same volume are all going to float the same, its just that the firewire is a slightly smaller more compact version?

Comment

It depends on the way the foam is distributed. One could be thick in the centre with thin rails and a nice tapered deck, another could be a little narrower but thick all the way to the rail. They could carry the same volume but would feel and ride very differently.

Comment

Hey Prjwebb,
              I know this is off topic..... But is there any talk of making the board sizes go up by 1 inch rather than 2 inches on most of the models? I fall in between sizes on pretty much all the designs that im keen on.........Thanks!

Comment

I think that's being implemented from this year. Most of the newer models have been released in 1" increments like the Unibrow, Chubby Chedda and hopefully soon the Vanguard.
                I'm not sure that older models will be revisited for this change but a lot of them are available through the CBD anyway.

Comment

Is there any chance of a Unibrow in a 5'7? Its about the only size that you cant get?

Comment

Hmm, shoot Chris an email at [email protected] and he'll be able to help. It might be something that can be special ordered. No guarantees though!

Comment

Sweet thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X