X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when you hit 40?

So I was playing with the volume calculator, and I'm right in between 35 and 40, so I kept all the variables the same except for those. It gave me a 5liter difference for my minimums! Is it that much harder to surf at 40? I keep myself in good shape and want to surf for a while. Can any older guys chime in?

Ask that Kelly Slater guy :D

Comment

Yes I have been saying for some time now that at 35+ the volume calculator starts adding too much volume. It must be based on some psychological studies that show anyone over 40 always lies about their fitness :-)

In some of the other sports I compete in (in a mediocre way!) some of the 40+ are much fitter than their younger counterparts whose training time is limited much more by younger children.

I would think a pretty good objective measure of fitness (regardless of age) would be 50m swim sprint time! It would be relevant to paddle power.

Comment

Yep similar experience. I'm 35 and putting in int level of experience, 35 years and average fitness, was giving me 46L as ideal volume. Luckily was able to demo some firewires before I bought me new 6'4" spitfire which is 41l so about 5l less than the recommended for me. What I noticed is that if I backed the age setting back to 25 years, it gave me ideal volume (or change fitness setting to excellent which I feel although fit hardly the fittest guy out there so doesn't seem right). So in short demo if you can, or scroll the age back if you feel reasonably fit. Reckon with all the surfing I do now I'm fitter than i was at 25 anyways LOL.

Comment

• vota_bru
          vota_bru commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

I am 35 as well, 200lbs 6ft. The calculator is throwing out 42L min in good waves and 44L min in weak waves. I have been surfing a firewire dominator 6'4 (41.5L) for couple years. Should I go higher in volume if I want to ride the spitfire? 6'6 spitfire will be 45L

Cheers

• Montygoesbananas
          Montygoesbananas commented
          Editing a comment
          No I wouldnt, the spit and Dom are basically the same board with the spit having a slightly higher end in the tail shape, Dom a bit smoother for turns. If I were you I would look at a 6'6" uni or a HZ if you are after something a bit longer for better waves than your Dom. Personally I have been on my spit for about 2 years now and would go 6'2" if I were buying a new SF. I will be looking to drop some litres in my next board (hashtag or Spartan if a bigger one comes out). I use my spit in everything from 1foot to 5 feet (double overhead) but I really need something more high performance for when the waves get that big. But my trusty spit will always be in the quiver more as a grovel and fat wave board.

next month i make 42. i get in the water a lot so i have an advantage over most by staying in water shape and when i work out, its only to benefit my surfing. im not "six pack abs guy" but i like to ride my small boards around 40L. my VG was 35L and i could paddle into waves easily, but didnt care for jockeying around the line up w it. oh btw, my triceps are MASSIVE. lol

Comment

there is a huge disparity in volume when you put 40+. I guess they are basing it off a study that 40+ don't surf as much thus are not in optimal physical shape??
          My dad told me that once I turn 40 "things" wont be or work the same...I'm not sure what he means by that but I guess I'll have to wait and find out haha

ALOHA!!

Comment

Cannot comment on the volume calculator effects concerning Age for Youngsters (

Comment

Sorry, the heavens did not like my post and mauled it entirely after my first picky remark, probably too much ranting on the "over 40 thing". Still I want to add some things, being 41 😇. For me the age effect boils down to one thing: personal fitness. How fit do you feel ? Like a fit 20year-old? Like an unfit 30year old ? IMHO Most people in our Western world are not fit. Most people move too little, are stiff and very Risk-averse. Many people, then, are moderately fit and very healthy. And some are very fit, and this, at any age (Go to a Marathon and watch some of the 55 or 65 old runners ...) Thats the upside - age means not too much if you keep fit, and above 35 you know what you need to do (or avoid, like pro skateboardind without protection). The downsides of age are known: a linearly slower recovery after workout after 25, easier injuries with slower recovery after 30, and all this in parallel to reduced free time to compensate for all of this. Add injuries to slower recoveries and Risk Aversion and you see the age factor in the fitness equation. So what? I am mostly fitter today than 20 years ago, I struggle harder, there is more pain, and I wouldn't dare to start a career as Stuntman as some limbs hurt sometimes, but there is plenty to do and progress at. Especially in surfing. I think that being a surfer already excludes you from the totally unfit group, as it Takes a bit to go out in the ocean when the energy is there. Now back to the volume calculator: I usually type in fitness "excellent", feeling that average or even above average is too low. 👼 Of course I know that I am a lightyear less fit than the WCT guys in their 20ies. But I am sure THEY dont need the calculator, it wasn't made for them, but for usually very fit non-pro surfers. Surfers that paddle easily. And if I feel some doubt, I type in the lower variable and see how much that adds. Anyone who knows "his" volume in a board has the REAL starting point already and only needs the calculator to adjust. If you know you need 5 l less than the calculator says: change your age 😄 or type in excellent 😁 or both and rejoice at the fact that your are obviously Younger !!! Inside than the population 😊. Just to add: imo the heaviest parameter of the calculator is the "ability" - highest impact, most difficult to define... Makes for 5 L at least... Cheers - surf hard, keep on exercising, never give up. Last thing: what motivates me most are the threads from the cool older surfers here that absolutely rip following theirs posts !!!!

Comment

Somewhere between early 40s and mid forties your chemistry changes testosterone might drop -who knows. I am not a doctor so I am only talking from personal experience. Even if you keep fit and surf as much as you can the power to weight ratio starts to drop. You can still get waves because you've got experience, knowledge and know how to avoid getting caught inside on big days. So you really do not notice the slowing up. By fifty though you feel it - that powerful paddling is not there as your kid (the one you used to push onto waves) surges past you to claim it from you before you are on it. This is where you have a choice give up and watch TV, buy a log or get cunning and befriend foam. This is a Firewire speciality - Addvance, Potato series, Dominator and even the Tomo boards all available with models that have volume to catch waves but still have "short board" feel. The calculator does put on the foam rather thickly after you admit to forty - play time traveller and do it for the board you want for your 70th. Don't giggle, the Doc from Byron was surfing in his late 70s on a 6'4" if my memory serves me correctly. A walk and stretches for the warm up, never fight the white water for more than four set waves, use rips to get out and pace yourself to avoid injury. My reading from calculator puts me on 37 to 42 litres but I went to 44 on a Potatonator. Other boards all towards top of scale - work fine. Slower weaker waves - more foam - comes in useful in crowds. lesser volume for your 4 to 6 foot beast and I'll admit it that 8 foot plus is out for me unless there is a real deep channel to slip into. The biggest problem is injuries - out of surf - fitness drops - push too hard when unfit - further injury in a downward spiral. So surfing ability and age is about "use it or lose it!"
                This was written by a 55.25 year old on the final evening of a 4 week snowboard trip in Northern Japan (yeah I'm exhausted) and I'll be back in the line up in two days time. Stay fit - stay as strong as you can eat healthily - avoid drugs/alcohol/cigarettes as much as you can. One other trick is to have a supportive doctor as access to anti-inflammatories and pain relief is essential - I've chewed a few in recent days. AGE means adapting to the way your body changes - minimise the negatives of aging - do not give in to it. Keep the stoke alive - you'll feel younger and probably live a longer and happier life.
                Last edited by jambo; 02-22-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I turn 53 this year... back in my late 30's I hit rock-bottom with shift work and poor lifestyle. I weighed 106kg (5' 8 tall) and was totally unable to catch my breath paddling around in 2ft waves. In epic 6ft surf that I once loved I thought I would drown - for serious!! Long story short, I got off the shift work, I started riding 7ft+ pu hybrids, started exercising and finally climbed out of the hole. Now I'm riding a 6'4 #tag and a 6'6 V4 for the biggest days and weigh 93kg - though I've been as low as 88 not so long ago. A few months ago I had an 8hr continuous session in fantastic, uncrowded waves - something I haven't done for many years. Most often I will outlast guys half my age for length of session and be catching lots of waves. I'm reasonably strong but lower back flexibility is an issue sometimes. If I'm having a bad day I'll do some ugly one-knee take-offs, especially if there's not much push on the take-off but once I'm up I go pretty good lol.
                  Anyway, yes I agree with Apache and Jambo - you can go further and harder than most would expect if you exercise and manage your body.
                  My wife competes in Masters Athletics comps and I've personally witnessed guys aged 70+ run 100m in just over 13 seconds. Just keeping at it and being patient with your progress is the key :)

Comment

• jambo
                    jambo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    May the swells rise to greet you piggo - you are a true gentleman of the ocean, a real surfer. Surf until the sun sets......

• piggo
                    piggo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Jambo - may we both find that the afternoon is yet early :) It would appear however, that you indeed are the gentleman as your gracious comments reveal. Even your moniker is a Swahili greeting. Best wishes fella...

Inspiring stuff guys, makes me want to get up off the couch and do something, but its cold and dark outside!

Comment

Working...
                  X