X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour mill - Kelly leaves FCS

I haven't checked to validate but I hear the big KS has parted ways with FCS. At this stage of his career (if true) it seems to be a strange decision. I also thought he had shares in FCS. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this, his wave pool project etc pan out.

You got any articles or news links to that to make sure it is true?

Comment

No just the rumour. The only validation is FCS don't feature him on their team anymore, which could be coincidence.

Comment

would be pretty mental not to advertise the world's most famous surfer as being on your team though. interesting...

Comment

I don't see Kelly on the Global team either. For some reason Mick Fanning is gracing the main page of FCS now! =X.

Maybe Kelly is switching to Futures or making his own line of fins??!!

Comment

do i stock up on the k2.1's now????

Comment

you probably don't have to. I'm sure FCS owns the rights to the template and they will probably just re-release it under a new name and color. BUT to be safe, buy at least one set haha!

Comment

Well knowing Kelly's thirst for innovation and Futures Manyra of not only playing with templates but also foils (amongst other things), I would not be surprised if he would be switching to either FUTURES or his own line of fins

Comment

I'd expect it'd be his own line of fins. Really, Kelly Slater is the biggest brand in surfing so why donate it to someone else? He may as well reap the rewards of his brand value, plus sale profit. FCS wouldn't be happy though. Having said that they're in industry norm.

Comment

yeah who knows...strange that they wouldn't have him up there...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      yeah who knows...strange that they wouldn't have him up there...
                      Maybe not, maybe they are just rotating the crops, so to speak. It seems plausible to me that a change in poster boys may add to their sales. So far there seems no substance to this rumour. In addition, the FCS website is notoriously out of date most of the time and never seems to have all the fin models available on it. I still see a big section in "community" dedicated to Kelly Slater's 10 world titles! -> http://www.surffcs.com/au/community/kellyslater10.aspx

Comment

Split amicable, and driven by Kelly’s desire to explore new opportunities with Kommunity

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 7 September, 2012 : - - FCS today announced that Kelly Slater would not be renewing his long standing sponsorship agreement to ride the FCS system and fins. Kelly’s relationship with FCS extends back to the infancies of the company. He was instrumental in bringing global awareness and credibility to the system and fins, having achieved multiple World Titles over the last 15 years.

The split was amicable, and was driven by Kelly’s desire to explore new opportunities with his accessory brand Kommunity. Kommunity currently manufactures and sells traction pads, leashes, and board covers; categories which have been occupied by FCS for many years.

While Kelly is no longer official sponsored by FCS to ride the system and fins, he has indicated that he will continue to ride the system indefinitely. FCS also has a range of Kelly Slater signature fins that will still be available until August 2013. FCS would like to formally acknowledge Kelly’s contribution not only to Surf Hardware International, but to the millions of surfers that have enhanced their performance by riding the FCS system and fins.

Comment

so they copy his template and make them a different color?

Comment

I'd have thought so although I don't see the colours changing. There's nothing to stop them using the templates, his name will be the only issue. I don't see that they couldn't still keep the K2.1 and K3 though, just couldn't mention KS on the description.

I guess they'd honour Kelly's wishes but it would be a shame to not be able to get those templates anymore.

Comment

Shyza,

I better get my K2.1 center fin then (I've the quad kit).

I can picture mark ups and a run on this stuff comin, geeze.

I hope he wins #12.

Comment

Working...
                              X