Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sally through to the quarters! She's surfing so well froth!!

Comment

GOSALLY did well. Into the quarters and a shout out to Nev and Firewire in the winner's post heat interview.

Iggy - couldn't agree with you more. The women's surfing is great to watch. Some real critical turns.
      Hoping Sally can bust out that air reverse she has been working on in the off season!

Comment

Yeah all the girls have stepped it up a level. Pauline Ado and the Californian girls like Sage Erickson seem to have improved the most. How well did Silvana Lima and Sofia Mulanovich surf and still get eliminated? Girl's surfing has improved do much, its amazing.

I think I only have 2 left in my team - Steph and Carissa.

Comment

John John is surfing solid!!!. This will be the year of the youngsters!!!

Comment

Aaaaaand waht about Filipe???
            Attachment
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

i will say this about Jon Jon. i was surfing pupukea a few months back on a 3-4' day, and his presence in the water is "king" status. he basically can free surf w the best of them. i dont think the locals travel well to compete, but when the triple crown is on, they get nuts. i think this was the 1st year in the last 10 that slater competed at haleiwa. if slater wraps it up before the triple crown, he will only compete at pipe.

Comment

Taj looks on fire at Snapper. Jordy looks huuuuuge (not fat, just big). Joel and Mick look strong. I reckon Slater's boards are too short but hey, my competitive highlight is the quarters at a regional juniors and Kelly has 11 world titles, so what would I know? He's sure surfing well. Wilko could do anything. Jdub looks on point. Man turn Spartan is surfing great. Another day to come.

I reckon if you had your money on the next gen to grab a world title you'd be worried. JJF and Medina both now start the year with throw aways and both may carry an injury into Bells. They aren't out of it yet but they've sure made life more difficult for themselves.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say JDub is going to challenge for the title this year.

Comment

Oh my God! how good was that turn on Michel's third wave against Jeremy Flores?
                  this is the best I've ever seen him surf - massive power!

Comment

crazy good

Comment

I'm surprised no one has updated on this!

Quikky Pro finished today in high quality (for 2013) Kirra. Michel surfed really well but was beaten by an on fire Parko in the semi. Parko got a 10 within something like 30 seconds of the final starting for a deep double barrel. Some of the local surf media is giving really positive feedback about Firewires with a rave comment on a local surf website and regular positive comments from event commentary. Go firewire. In the other semi Mick got an 18 or so and got pipped by Slater with a 19 or so. Super high quality surfing.

In the Final Parko started off strong with a wave which would probably have got a 10 in the heats or semis, but was (properly) scored down to a high scale. It was a 40 minute final, a barrel fest, and the judges were leaving room for freak waves. Parko took an early lead and for a super long but smaller barrel got arguably underscored. As it is Slater than pulled into an amazing 10 and that was nearly it. Around 10 minutes to go Parko picked off a deep throaty bomb. Parko felt he would make it. He looked comfortable. But Slater had priority. Slater dropped in, Parko had to pull through the back, and that was really the last opportunity to pull back the lead. Slater won 18 or so to 17 or so.

Slater isn't even putting on the "will he or won't he" pretence this year. He's consistently been saying he's in it for the season, and to win it. I think he really wants a crowning world title to retire on. I think that was his plan last year and Parko spoilt the party. Mick, JDub and Parko are also in it to win it. Michel is super improved with much better linkages between turns and will definitely be a top 10 contender, and could fight it out too. To be honest with Medina and JJF carrying injuries and already having one throw away it's hard for me to see them challenging. Owen and Jordy could be in the mix but both had bad events here.

So Slats will go hard all season, and will fight it out with the Cooly kids and JDub imho.

Comment

My call is, if Slater stays interested, he'll have it wrapped up with a couple of events to spare. He had a couple of bad results last year and skipped a contest and still only lost the world title by 1 heat. I reckon he thought about that at the end of last year and is hungry to make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          My call is, if Slater stays interested, he'll have it wrapped up with a couple of events to spare. He had a couple of bad results last year and skipped a contest and still only lost the world title by 1 heat. I reckon he thought about that at the end of last year and is hungry to make up for it.
                          Couldnt agree more and I know I will be boooooed out of the water at my local but I actually hope he does keep winning them. Why shouldnt he...the others have to take it off him and he has proven when he can be bothered no one can take it off him..well except Andy...but..patriotism aside..I feel lucky to live at a time when I can say I watched him surf live.

Comment

Since he came back on tour in 2002 (or was it 2003?) Slater has won 5 world titles. Andy won 3. Mick won 2. Parko won 1. He hasn't dominated the way he did in the 90's. I don't think it's fair to say only AI challenged him. The two Cooly kids have taken 3 titles off Slater fair and square. Slater was fully committed last year, all year.

No doubt Slater is a great surfer, the greatest of all time. But his peers can and do take it to him. If Slater hasn't used priority against Parko today Parko would have picked up a 10 and the result would have been reversed.

Slater looks imperious today but he looked terrible at Steamer Lane and Sunset last year. And I personally reckon Mick and Parko and JDub are as imperious. The Spartan is also surfing well enough to challenge at the top.

I personally want to see a contest to near the end. I think we'll see it.

Comment

Andy won 1 before Kelly came back I think.
                              Kelly has won around 50% of the WTs since he came back. with 43 and now 35 other guys competing I'd say that was pretty dominating.
                              Last year if Kelly hadn't skipped Rio and made it to round 3 or 4, I think he would have won the title before Pipe.

I reckon Mick is going to be the main contender again this year! Would love to see Michel stay consistent all year and take an event, I was hoping he was going to win this one.

Comment

Damn kids Florence and Medina screw me on my fantasy surfer!!! ;)
                                The old Kelly is surfing as good as ever. I saw Parko really loose and relaxed. Mick is hungry as well but I would say that the biggest oppoition will come from the youngers this year

Comment

Working...
                                X