X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Surfing Competitions

I just thought I'd start a new thread for this year.

So, it's not far off the first showing for many pros at the Breaka Pro, and around a month off the start of the Quikky Pro at Snapper (or thereabouts). Who is going to shine in 2013? Who is going to fade?

I'm a huge Parko fan. I'd love to see him repeat in 2013. If it's not him though my call is for it to be Jordy Smith's year. The guy has the surfing to win it no doubt - he just needs to concentrate more. He was the form surfer at the Coldwater classic (along with Joel) last year but surfed one bad heat and he's out. I think he's fired up to make 2013 his year.

If not Joel or Jordy, who? Obviously Medina is going to win a tour or two. Will it be 2013? I think a lot depends on his results in two waves that don't suit his surfing as well as some others - Bells and Snapper. If he can get Quarters or better in these two events he'll be in the running. If not he'll be giving someone else a big head start.

Wilson? I can't see it, even though he's a big believer .I reckon Owen Wright could do it. He's definitely got the surfing. He needs a good start but I think his surfing better suits Bells and Snapper than Medina's.

JJF? The great white hope? he'll definitely he "in it". I have to confess from time to time I don't like his surfing. His arms hanging limp by his side forehand cutty, for instance, I just don't like. But he was in the running this year and he's a freak, so could go all the way.

Mick? He can definitely do it if he gets a good start. It will be interesting to see what he's done with his air game in the off season. Same with Joel too.

Slater? I'm not even sure if he'll compete. He virtually announced his retirement mid season but then didn't announce it as expected at Pipe, presumably because his script had him retiring with his 12th world title under his belt. His surfing is still up there in barrelling waves but on the face (Sunset, Bells, Steamer Lane) his surfing seems to be struggling. I did see a clip of him surfing Rincon and copying Parko's top turn. Interesting. he can't be written off but I think he won't win 2013.

Taj? I can't see it. If he performed consistently with a smart heat head he could, but I just don't think he can do it.

I personally can't wait to see Sebastian Zietz surf the tour. from what I've seen I love his style, but I've only seen him surf Hawaii.

Anyone else? Wilko to hit the top 10? Dane to rejoin the WQS and requalify?

Interesting re: Slater
    If he didn't care about competing in the top 34 this year, I suspect he wouldn't have pulled out of the Mavericks Invitational yesterday (top 34 ASP Pros are not allowed to compete in non-sanctioned events). So perhaps Slater is going to have another tilt at it??

The usual suspects will be there, perhaps Josh Kerr as a rank outsider...

Comment

I can't see Josh doing it. In beachbreaks his air game is amazing. And in big barrelling waves he's a freak. But in waves which feature big powerful carves I reckon he's behind the other top guys. I reckon it's better to have good traditional carving skills and not be so good in the air than vice versa. Obviously he carves better than I do but I reckon he's less powerful and explosive than the other top guys.

Comment

slates will stop screwing around with equipment during contests and blow the field away and clinch with 3 events still left in the season..

Comment

For Kerr, I did say rank outsider ;)
          And you logic is good Buzzy, but...

Comps Barreling Waves:
          Pipe
          Tahiti
          J-Bay
          Snapper
          Fiji

Comps with Air Waves:
          Rio
          Tressles

There are a few there...

Comment

Yeah, totally agree.

Parko was favoured a bit this year in that Brazil, Portugal and France all became barrel riding events on top of the actual barrel riding events of Pipe, Chopes and Fiji. It's not usual for in particular Brazil to turn on barrels like that. You'd therefore expect Brazil to favour Medina and JJF, Owen and Julian etc.

Comment

PS message to the new ASP Commissioner of Surfing circa 2014. You need to bring back tour events for J'Bay and Sunset ASAP. Surely the SA government has a major events person/department to work with to secure sufficient support? And surfing deserves a Sunset ASP event.

Comment

Oh yeah. I forgot J'Bay was off the list.
                Fkn unbelievable for the wave it is, but economics will win every time...

Comment

I actually think of JBay as ASP ineptitude. Surely with a bit of effort an event with sufficient sponsorship could be staged? They just seemed to shrug their shoulders and say "oh it's tough for Bong and if Bong won't stage it, it's off." FFS South Africa isn't going that great and I'm sure their government would be keen to maintain a big international event there, help secure sponsors etc. there seems to be a passive acceptance that if a surf clothing company won't sponsor it, none will. Surfing has lots of crossover appeal. It's "cool" is revealed in the fact we're all "surfing the net". It's still the godfather of alternative sports. Lots of non surfing companies would like to be involved. I don't know why the ASP didn't partner with someone like IMG to grow things..except capture of the tour by surf industry sponsors.

Sorry, bit of a rant there.

Comment

Interesting. What you are suggesting is a bit like what is happening next year at Margs...
                    Upgraded to a major ASP event and not sponsored by one of the big surf labels.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                      PS message to the new ASP Commissioner of Surfing circa 2014. You need to bring back tour events for J'Bay and Sunset ASAP. Surely the SA government has a major events person/department to work with to secure sufficient support? And surfing deserves a Sunset ASP event.
                      YEEEES please, we are all waiting for JBay to come back, still can't believe they have not decided to bring one of the best rights in the world back!!

Comment

they should just have redbull sponsor everything.. they have so much money its absurd.. read an article about how the company was formed and how much money they have now.. crazy!

Comment

Fingers crossed this Zosea deal will open things up in a good way for 2014.

Comment

i think Filipe has it locked down. he has already won.

going to truthfully be one of the most competitive years in a long time. Some boys were dropped that really weren't all that competitive anymore and we get Filipe, Nat, Seabass, etc (though i don't think Glenn Hall will kill it). Plus Kolohe will do well this year and Julian, Gabriel etc are all more mature.

Comment

i think Filipe has it locked down. he has already won.

going to truthfully be one of the most competitive years in a long time. Some boys were dropped that really weren't all that competitive anymore and we get Filipe, Nat, Seabass, etc (though i don't think Glenn Hall will kill it). Plus Kolohe will do well this year and Julian, Gabriel etc are all more mature.

Comment

Working...
                              X