X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy, Bourez or Hell Razor??

So today I sold my Hellfire 5'8, I bought the board in april of last year and put that thing through its paces, loved the board alot and it was hard to part with it. I bought a 5'6 Spitfire in October and after having bought that I realized that although the two boards do have different ideal conditions they do overlap a lot. I feel like the Spit covers the lower and middle range of the Hellfire and than when it is big sometimes i feel like the Hellfire is not enough. So I Have my spitifre, I can use my brothers Sweet Potato when it gets realllly small, Now I need something to use when the Surf gets about overhead and a half and the spitfire starts to slide out. None of the older HP models really catch my attention so Im stuck on either the Hell Razor or the MB what I want to know mainly is how much like the Hellfire does the Hellrazor surf? I want a board that can hold its own when its barreling really hard and something with a little more rail line. If I got a Hell Razor im looking at the 5'11 or a 5'10 MB.
    Would like to know if anyone has ridden these, maybe chris or someone, and can chime in and give me a bit of a review on them and how they surf.
    I want something to cover me from head high, upside down barrels, to double overhead point break. Im a bit keener on the Hellrazor than the MB mainly because of how thick the MB is. The 5'10 x 2 7/16 is a bit thick by my standards so I was wondering how much the tail and nose thin out.
    Thanks in advance

There's thinner MBs now too. I think there's a 510 at 2.31" thick but it might be a little too low volume. There's a 6'0" 18.75" 2.38" too which is 27.8l or something. That one sounds sick to me.
    From what I've heard then HR is more refined and much closer to a shortboard than the HF.

Comment

Chito, after reading your old reviews on the Hellfire I didn't think you would ever sell that board. I thought when you had ridden it enough you would of had it "stuffed" and put up on the mantlepiece so you could look at it and remember all the good waves you caught on it. :)

Comment

Yea Danga it was really hard to sell the board but after coming to the realization that My spitfire was starting to replace my HF for waist to overhead + surf I figured that It was time to make a change.
        I have got my mind set on a 5'11 Hell Razor, After seeing what felipe toledo did on his HR at D bah in poor conditions sets my concerns aside as to wether or not the board would be good for powerful blown out bad waves. The beach break I surf in front of my house is really dredgy at low tide and I want a board that apart from surfing good when the waves are epic will also handle really steep, doubling up, onshore sand suckers at low tide when its blown out. I felt at times that the 5'8 Hellfire was lacking a bit of rail line and bite when the waves got really steep and powerful or big, although for its size it did handle big waves with excellent grace, however, I feel that the rail line of a 5'11 that is thinner will handle the conditions a bit better.

Comment

A little video with the Hellrazor:
          http://vimeo.com/35967242

Comment

yeah a little FYI the Hellrazor was developed for Taj and elite surfers by Nev and though Taj ultimately chose to stick with his familiar shape, guys like Timmy, Sterling and Filipe Toledo LOVE the board. Its a truly high performance board. Surf it in the same conditions as your go to shortboard.

Comment

Felipe Toledo??

Comment

oh man iggy you missed him..go to the heats on demand for the burliegh junior comp from last week...cant remember what name it ran under....

Comment

Geez!!! of course!!!! saw this kid during the comp!!!!.Unbelievable skills!!
                  Remember he made it all the way to the Semis!. Remember the commentators talking about how good that board looked under his feet!!!.
                  Was he just trying the boards during the comp??? cause he would be a great addition to the team!!!.I reckon Mr. Neville was scouting the comp

Comment

as far as i know, nev made it for taj who didnt use it so felipe got it...

Comment

How come that Hellrazor in the video has the Hellfire tail instead of the coffin tail?

Comment

R&D board

Comment

It looked basically like a hellfire.

Comment

haven't got my grubby hands on it yet but, as i understand it it's stretched out like taffy....pulled in nose and tail....milder double scoops....cut squash tail for slightly longer rail line per length...and i think a bit more rocker(not sure of the numbers)....the hellfire moved more than halfway from the spitfire to the shortboard.....this goes nearly right up against your shortboard...

Comment

Yeah at the time, we only had a diamond tail in Mexico. We'll refresh it, but just wanted to get that up. Nev does mention we were planning to build it with a different tail.

Also it, in a way, is like a Hellfire, but it really is higher performance. Its an intense board. It could easily replace your every day shortboard....

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X