X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to flat spells

Well I just bought myself one of these Carver skateboards and let me tell you not only what an amazing workout this is,is literally like surfing but on pavement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=885UW-Cw8qQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykoEJ...e_gdata_player

Looks fun. How are they different than a normal skateboard? Are they the same as these?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydbx_hBfXjc

Comment

Same company. The beauty of it is on the front truck called the C7 which has an extra axis of movement. This makes the board gain speed as you pump it, same that when surfing. This is gonna allow me to get in gear even before my season starts again!!

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
        Same company. The beauty of it is on the front truck called the C7 which has an extra axis of movement. This makes the board gain speed as you pump it, same that when surfing. This is gonna allow me to get in gear even before my season starts again!!
        I have used long board skateboards to help keep me dialed in during flat spells. The end result was much smoother cutbacks and flow in general. I would set up cones to help simulate the bottom turn into the cutback frontside and backside. It really helped with muscle memory with my set body positions for the basic power turns. It looks like this helps bridge the gap even further with the whole pumping action. I want one bad!! Thanks for posting

Comment

iggy which one did you get? i've been eyeing these for a while.. just a lot of coin..

Comment

When it's flat I go dirt surfing!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...899-square.jpg

Now these sleds cost a lot of coin.
            Last edited by Slowman; 02-18-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

iggy and slow are the official forum "frothing grommets"...i'm boring old school...if flat i just go out anyway and paddle way out to sea...sometimes i turn around and come back...!!

Comment

For sure they are expensive slow!!!.
                Dave if I could venture into the water at tho point in time believe me I wouldn't have to be inventing things to do!!!;).
                I'll be more than happy to be able to go paddle right now but th icebergs don't agree with me

Comment

Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

if thats anything like the early "pump" style boards then it will train you into a front foot style..well sort of....be good to get a 1980's style board as well and "tic tac" your speed up off the kick tail...(good to do this along where the road slopes into the gutter..after making sure its safe in regards to traffic of course..!!..go both directions for backhand/forehand)...massive back leg burn..!!!... then you will be well rounded and ready to shred when it thaws..!!
                    Last edited by core personal training; 02-19-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

i suppose having a focus on being active, it would be remiss of me not to mention that we all should keep well stretched (flat spell or not) and use down time to assess your body for under-developed areas/weaknesses, poor posture or alignment and any niggles or injuries you know about. Surfing is notorious for causing or contributing to these issues..this is not comprehensive advice, just some starting points to think about...before commencing any new exercise or program and if in doubt, see your doctor..

of course like the chain smoking whiskey drinking doctor who tells you to avoid mans vices, i myself dont stretch nearly enough, am always slouched on the lounge etc and as a consequence my lower back goes on strike regularly, forcing me to crawl up the beach on all fours..!!
                      Last edited by core personal training; 02-19-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I just use a longboard when it's flat. There's always some rideable wave.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                          i suppose having a focus on being active, it would be remiss of me not to mention that we all should keep well stretched (flat spell or not) and use down time to assess your body for under-developed areas/weaknesses, poor posture or alignment and any niggles or injuries you know about. Surfing is notorious for causing or contributing to these issues..this is not comprehensive advice, just some starting points to think about...before commencing any new exercise or program and if in doubt, see your doctor..

of course like the chain smoking whiskey drinking doctor who tells you to avoid mans vices, i myself dont stretch nearly enough, am always slouched on the lounge etc and as a consequence my lower back goes on strike regularly, forcing me to crawl up the beach on all fours..!!
                          core in regards to your posture. my orthopedist recommended these shirts made by intelliskin to help with my shoulder woes.. they are amazing for real! i had my doubts but they straighten you up and make you sore if you wear them for too long in the beginning..

Comment

KDROP..that type of thing is good for "retraining" you to hold yourself correctly..more convenient than the good ol' way of getting someone else to plaster tape all over you..(i know a couple of pros that do this to remind themselves to move correctly..particularly with setting their scapula re shoulder/neck woes)..

my problem is sloth and gluttony...!!

Comment

My problem is Arnotts Chocolate Monte's...and Arnotts Double Choc Tim Tams. But for that fiendish Arnotte's enterprise (coupled with my weak will and love of chocolate coated biscuits) I'd look like George Clooney and surf like Kelly Slater.

Comment

Working...
                              X