X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Bay dropped from ASP WT Schedule

Looks like Billabong are feeling the squeeze. J Bay has been downgraded to a 6 Star so the WT event won't be there this year. Tragic :(
    Only 10 events now, what's next to be cut?
    http://www.aspworldtour.com/2012/02/...star-for-2012/

The Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay, Event No. 5 of 11 on the 2012 ASP World Championship Tour, has been officially downgraded to an ASP 6-Star event for 2012.

In an official statement today, Billabong said: “The change in event status follows a broader review in which we are seeking to identify cost savings throughout the business. By retaining an event at Jeffreys Bay, it now provides two qualifying events back to back in the South African region. The move to an ASP 6-Star also opens the event up to South Africa’s aspiring pro surfers for the first time in 20 years and ensures continuity of the event for the local businesses in Jeffreys Bay.”

The downgrade drops the 2012 ASP World Championship Tour calendar from 11 events to 10, with surfers now counting their best 8 out of 10 results towards their ASP World Title ranking.

“We agreed as a Board that whilst very regrettable, the commercial realities are such that a pragmatic approach by ASP at this time seemed sensible,” Richard Grellman, ASP Executive Chairman, said. “Billabong have been long-time supporters of professional surfing and still sponsor three of the ten World Championship Tour events and we look forward to our deep relationship with them continuing.”

That sucks. It also demonstrates the stupidity of allowing board short companies to control pro surfing for so long. Surely there's a South African major sponsor who can step in and provide the big bucks necessary, with Billabong becoming a secondary or third tier sponsor?

Comment

Yeah you'd think so. The structure of events and sponsorship needs to change that's for sure.

Comment

How they downgrade one of the most perfect right hander waves in the world??. This is sad...very sad.

Comment

Crazy, I never thought it would get this bad. The surf companies do need to get out of the events as the main backers. Where would the money come from though?

Comment

the way nike is throwing around sponsor money you'd think they'd sack up and sponsor a event or two

Comment

It will be interesting to see which pro's decide they will go to J Bay this year
              Just because they get to surf this perfect right, one of the best waves in the world with no one out

Comment

If the forecast is perfect I bet there will be a few. Shame the webcast will be down graded too.

Comment

Look for Sean Holmes to shine once again

Comment

i can see deon winning it with his go-pro filming it all..!!!...

Comment

haha core that would be awesome.

also keep in mind the apparel companies are the ones who have the money to sponsor events...its all about financial management though...

Comment

Yeah until surfing is big enough that tv stations are paying for the coverage and people paying for advertising slots it's always going to come down to the big clothing companies to put on the events. Catch 22 really because personally I hope surfing doesn't get to that level. Line ups are busy enough already!
                        Maybe Red Bull, Monster, Nike, Target etc could put on some events rather than just getting their stickers on people's boards.

Comment

You used to get lots of non-surf companies sponsoring events. Smirnoff, Coca-Cola, Beaurepairs etc. I'm sure the ASP could rustle up some non-surf wear sponsors if they put their mind to it. Problem is, I suspect, the surf companies oppose that tooth and nail. For the JBay surely the South African tourist bureau or the national airline or a car manufacturer wit a "lifestyle" car looking to grow market could step in. Really, the integrity of key events on the world tour shouldn't be in lock step with the budget requirements of one company.

Comment

I don't think the asp would resist it. There are many different ways sponsors can get involved from licensing sponsor to presenting sponsor etc....communication sponsor.....it could be the billabong pro presented by coca cola.

I think it's a matter of marketing an industry that is perceived as "small" to major brands. I think if they pushed it, they could certainly get it. But in order to attract those sponsors, the ASP has to make sure things are TIIIIIIIGHT!

I mean drug testing, people have to sign contracts to compete. None of this Slater business not committing. Imagine Brady not playing in the Super Bowl or something to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              I don't think the asp would resist it. There are many different ways sponsors can get involved from licensing sponsor to presenting sponsor etc....communication sponsor.....it could be the billabong pro presented by coca cola.

I think it's a matter of marketing an industry that is perceived as "small" to major brands. I think if they pushed it, they could certainly get it. But in order to attract those sponsors, the ASP has to make sure things are TIIIIIIIGHT!

I mean drug testing, people have to sign contracts to compete. None of this Slater business not committing. Imagine Brady not playing in the Super Bowl or something to that effect.
                              No more giving the title away to soon too. As much as I love pro surfing it is a joke compared to every other pro sport. The FCS web site can't even keep there web page current with all the new fins and there demensions.

I can't believe they haven't been drug testing yet. I bet there are at least a couple dream tour guys that are taking some kind of banned substance. Steroids don't make you huge if you don't train to be huge. What they do is make you recover from a day of 4 heats much faster and give you a lot more endurance and you recover from injuries much faster. Same goes for HGH. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out Slater/Knox were using something like that. It would break my heart though. I personally don't feel like HGH under doctor supervision is a bad thing at all. Why shouldn't high level pros be allowed to use it to help recover from surgeries or muscle pulls and bad sprains. Especially the guys over 30 that have drastically less natural hgh production in there bodies than there 20 something counter parts. I'm having my second shoulder surgery this summer and after being out of the water for 3 months because of my surgery on my left shoulder and then completely tearing my anterior tibiofibular ligament two weeks after being cleared to surf from my shoulder surgery I was out for another 2 months. Thats 5 months on the DL for me this year with one more surgery to go. I will be supplementing with hgh to get through the recovery with as little muscle atrophy as possible and to speed up the healing process. Wow I think I just went on a rant.

Anyways the surf industry as a whole has to much salt water in the brain. Firewire is one of the hand full of companies that seems to have there collective s@#$ together.

Comment

Working...
                              X