Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airs are great and all but for example when kerr beat slater on that one air he pulled he wasted so much of the wave gathering up speed for it.. thats what bothers me about them.. he did some nice turns b4 it but that pumping pumping pumping is a waste.

Comment

saxman, I reckon you're being a bit harsh on Kerzzy's surfing unless the average standard in California is pretty ripping. Having said that between his airs and when he's not in heaving barrels I look at Kerr's surfing and have thought to myself "that's probably what I look like on a good day" or something like that...so I do agree his general rail to rail surfing isn't overly strong.

My main gripe about airs has been that too often the rest of the wave goes unridden as the surfer recovers balance in the soup, or they ride backwards for 5 seconds in an ugly poo stance etc. I hadn't thought about the "pump, pump, pump" element before the air. You're right. So much of the wave is wasted before AND after the air. It annoys me. Having said that if the air is thrown in as a seamless transition before and after then I love it. Jordy does that well. Parko too when he does them. In fairness to the messiah (Dane) he does too, when he makes them. I just reckon they're being overscored because they're new. They're to this era what a 360 was in the late 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
        saxman, I reckon you're being a bit harsh on Kerzzy's surfing unless the average standard in California is pretty ripping. Having said that between his airs and when he's not in heaving barrels I look at Kerr's surfing and have thought to myself "that's probably what I look like on a good day" or something like that...so I do agree his general rail to rail surfing isn't overly strong.

My main gripe about airs has been that too often the rest of the wave goes unridden as the surfer recovers balance in the soup, or they ride backwards for 5 seconds in an ugly poo stance etc. I hadn't thought about the "pump, pump, pump" element before the air. You're right. So much of the wave is wasted before AND after the air. It annoys me. Having said that if the air is thrown in as a seamless transition before and after then I love it. Jordy does that well. Parko too when he does them. In fairness to the messiah (Dane) he does too, when he makes them. I just reckon they're being overscored because they're new. They're to this era what a 360 was in the late 70's.
        Well put, I am being a little harsh on Kerzy. Just making a point. Jordy, Dane, Parko, JJF, Taj all mix the airs in better than Kerzy but Kery does to some crazy airs. I don't feel like he really gains to much more speed with all those extra pumps either. Two pumps and make something happen. If he had a better more critical rebound off the white water at the end of his cut back like kelly he would have more speed to work with.

Comment

Yeah now guys are coming up and cant carve so that flow is garnering points. Think a smaller slater reverse backed up by 3 massive turns getting a 9. I see aerialists like Yadin, Pupo, kolohe, etc struggling a little in waves where they need to mix flip with power.

Don't get me wrong, those guys rip, but are no match at Bells or a wave like restaurants, hossegor, superturbos, etc.

Comment

Let's hope so.

Comment

Working...
            X