X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting surfboard

I was in Kirra Surf and saw a video of Taj spray painting his board. I am about to get my 14yr old a FireWire for his birthday and I know he is going to want to do this. What products were Taj using. Is this type of paint likely to stay on or does Taj just use it for the board he is surfing that day? Thanks

Hey stc, a lot of guys just use spray pain and treat it with a thin spray clear coating....

Comment

Your best bet is to rough the area to be sprayed first with home fine grit sound paper. That'll help it key rather than chipping and peeling off easier. Just used an acrylic spray can. I think the stuff Taj uses in that video I think you're referring to has a finer, more controllable spray than standard car spray cans. Could be worth looking into depending on what sort of thing he's looking at doing.
      Once the spraying is finished leave it to dry and then I'd give it the lightest sand with super fine sandpaper just to flatten it out smooth, then spray multiple coats of clear lacquer, then once that's dried give it a light sand again to flat that off nice and smooth. Then you're good to go!

Comment

I'd be happy for some of the Thai boys to have a play before the boards are shipped
        Was there the other year and there's definitely some artistic talent in the country

Comment

I spray painted mine and the other one Iused Sharpie pens oil based

Comment

I've used Posca Pens to add a bit of life to my FW boards. Here's my El Fuego artwork (actually my 10yr old niece did the design & applied the colours, I just sprayed the clear laquer over it to seal it.
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

good stuff.

sealing it is key.

Comment

I've used Sharpies. For some reason the firewire epoxy really absorbs them well. Because of the absorption the Sharpie artwork lasts longer than the Posca pens. I've then sealed with about three fine coats of a matte lacquer spray. I'd vote for Sharpies.

Comment

Oh, here's a pic of some work...
                  Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

you missed a bit!

Comment

That Fuego looks sick!

Comment

Yeah, missed quite a bit. Anyway for what it's worth, that's what the above Sharpie method looks like after about a year on a heavily surfed board.

Comment

Attachment
                          Couldn't help it, this is BeatLloydie's recent paint job on his dominator, hope he doesn't mind but I really liked it, so Captain Goodvibes!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attachment

Here are 2 of my Firewire boards...one is a 6'8" alternator that someone sprayed..very professional job..the other is mine done in Posca pens (a little amateurish but I aint no real artist)...the go with the Posca pens is to clean the board thoroughly with Acetone, do your drawing and spray approx 3 coats of Krylon brand clear spray to protect it...Even with that they scratch very easily.....ideally would be good to do under a glass job if that were possible
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by beatlloydy; 04-15-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Attachment

I'd also be interested to know what FW officiallly recommends for spraying. What brand did you guys use? Chris do you have a recommended product in Australia.

Does anyone know of coloured acrylic spray cans in Australia? I think Krylon is acrylic but don't think we can get it here.

Does enamel do any damage?

There are quite a few different types of enamel and I wonder if they are all safe.

Molotow do enamel paint pens that are good for outdoor use that probably don't need sealing but again not sure about the enamel?

Attached is some boards I've done but this is all posca and acrylic spray.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X