X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One board quiver

In this age of extensive quivers, High performance boards, hybrids, fishes etc
    If you could ride only one board for the next year what would it be?
    Hard one isn't it
    I think I would choose my 5'10 Hell

510HF or 602 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2 flexfire if i want to be conventional or knew i'd be in serious waves more often...either tho....or maybe my upcoming 602 x 2 11/16MB will cross over both of them???????????....i'll know soon enough

Comment

I think I am an Alternator guy.

Comment

Looks like the Sub mini could be the one board quiver by the sound of things
        Lots of people frothing on this one

Comment

If I was forced, I would go with my Spitfire. It's pretty much all I ride anyway. Everything else that I try is just to mix it up and keep things interesting. I have swapped with 2 friends in the water and they said that they couldn't turn it (in bigger waves). No problem for me though. The Hellfire looks like the Spitfire but it doesn't ride anything like it. I would compare it to a CI Flyer which has a very different outline. It wasn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman
            Yeah the hellfire is good but I want to try the spitfire I think it will cover more just going by chito's reviews. Maybe a custom spit with a slightly narrower nose and I reckon it will cover from ankle snappers to nearly double overhead.
            Originally posted by prjwebb
            The Spitfire's weakness for me is the low entry rocker and a bit too much volume in the tail. I don't have the leg strength to boss that thing around and my lazy paddling means I'm usually taking off pretty late. I couldn't imagine riding it in nearly double overhead conditions. I think the Hellrazor and Hellfire would combat these weakness for me and because I'm a little lighter on my feet I think it'd work in the Spitfire conditions also.
            I guess for a slightly bigger guy the opposite could be said, in conditions where I'm over-foamed on a Spitfire, they have the power and weight to muscle the board and keep control in more critical sections, but in smaller days where the Hellfire would still work for me, they need the extra foam from the Spitfire.
            Originally posted by Slowman
            That pretty much sums it up for me, though I don't have a spit. I've had my dom out in solid surf a couple of times before I received the hellfire and it was ok so I expect the spit with its tail will have even more more bite and won't need to be nursed quite as much. In fact I have plans of using a spit to replace my one board quiver that I have at my in-laws up in the tropics.
            Since writing the above I have acquired a spitfire, for a few months now, and I've decided the Hellfire is it. I am in the process of purchasing another one now...well it hasn't arrived yet to my other home (my wife's really), so I'm here without it! Fingers crossed it comes soon and before the next typhoon. I've found the HF quite versatile and can handle the steeper hollower waves nicely and yet still goes OK in slop and small stuff but it lacks the paddle power of the spit. But I suppose I'm glad to trade that for that extra range of wave types. The spit does become a challenge when it starts to get hollow, the take off has to be angled more to avoid too much of a drop. As I said before a CBD spit with a slightly narrower nose but maybe some more rocker in the nose too.
            Last edited by Slowman; 07-07-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Too right about the low nose rocker. You do need to take off at an angle in bigger waves on the Dom if it's throwing. If you get boxed in and have to go dead straight on takeoff a nose dive is, for me, a real chance.

I reckon for East Coast non-super bank type conditions the Alt, Hellfire and Futura would be the obvious candidates for a one board quiver. I think I'd choose the Alt of that lot but it definitely wouldn't work as well as the other two in belly waist high waves. Then again the Hellfire would cover a greater % of days. That's why at least a two board quiver is the way to go.
              Last edited by buzzy; 07-07-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

i concur buzzy!!!

Good stuff!

Comment

So thinking of swaping my boards around to get a one board quiver. Sold my ELF as it just didn't work for me (even though it looked like a great shape) maybe not enough volume. And i've been offered a swap for my 6'0 PN for a mint 6'0 Spit. Had a 5'10 before which I loved but think the 6'0 would be even better for my local waves which are high tide wind swell most of the time. PN 6'0 was really fun the couple of times I surfed it although it was really floaty and bouyent but still turned real easy....i'm going to surf the 5'8 a few more times though to get a feel for it.

So a good idea or not....would the PN be too limited??

Kind of spins me out when I have to much to chose from....i'm the kind of guy who has one board for 2-6ft and surfs it till it dies!

Got an old log for 1ft summer waves

Comment

First Firewire is a 5'8 spitfire love it as a quad .. didn't as a tri at first. A lot of rich kooks around where I live on them . So I didnt know if they really work. They do !! Spitfire is such a great grovler but also got a double barrel on a day no one was getting barrels.. little bit of luck but board held sick !! I weigh 165 and I'm 5'10 . I also experienced something I never felt in all my years surfing .. Ther other day I jammed it n a turn under the lip and it flexed or something I felt a jolt of speed rebound me out of the turn. I've only had it a couple of months so Its just getting better. Wondering what my next board will be. Probaly hellfire or flexfire ?

Comment

Buzzy, did you order a bigger Hellfire? I surf my DOM 80% of the time although I love to change things up as I have been surfing my SP in the small stuff. I am looking forward to trying my HF out and figuring which fins work for me.

Comment

I ended up getting. 6'4" Futura rather than the 6'4" Hellfire. It really was a 50/50 call and I ended up ordering the Futura without previously seeing one in the flesh. A bit of a risk, but an educated one. The Futura goes great. It's verrrrrrrrrry fast across the wave face - a real section maker. I have no idea if I would have liked the Hellfire more or less and I'm 100% sure I'd have liked it. To be honest the main reason I went a Futura is likely to be its just a better looking board. IMHO.

Comment

EF for sure.

Awesome board, catches all, losses none.

Fast, 5 fin option, etc...

Comment

yes yes. El Fuego. Cult classic. Like the Norm MacDonald movie Dirty Work.

Comment

For me the JacKnife is turning out to be a pretty good all-rounder.....

Comment

Working...
                              X