Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong event aurfalien. I think that was a comment on Chopes.

And tre, watch what Parko is doing. If he waved his hands about, almost fell off after a big move and recovered then people seem to be impressed (a la Slater). Because Parko is so smooth and composed people seem to think nothing is happening, which is far from the case. Look to see where his board is relevant to the wave (ie critical), how his turns flow from one to the next (flow), see how much spray he throws (power). The one area where he struggled in comparison to some of the younger guys was in innovation, but he's really lifted his game on that front quite a deal. I think he's perhaps only one touch off the leading younger gen on this front now and equal to the likes of Slater.

Comment

• I'm not saying parko isn't good, he's just grossly overscored. he gets scored in the excellent range for waves with 2 turns. check round 3 heat 7 (8.4 for 2 turns and a foam climb), and don't get me started on the 9.93 (2 solid turns and a handful of floaters and soft top turns, excellent wave but giving him a 9.93 is a joke) also round 4 heat 3 a 9.87 for a couple of tail blows and a few flowy turns, 8.5 maybe, maybe even 9.0, but 9.87, that's crazy. it's maddening to watch. watching the comp, lots of better waves with more risk and better variety of maneuvers are being scored in the 7 range. again, it's maddening, and parko seems to get overscored in every comp.

i don't have anything against joel parkinson, he's obviously one of the world's best surfers, he just seems to be judged more favorably than anyone else (it seems like the judging criteria for this comp is specifically tailored for him).

Comment

• No worries, but I don't agree with you on the scoring. Cheers!

Comment

• What about Kelly's interference today?... and Medina's air after he finished his heat???. This kid is quite something!!

Comment

• Yeah, I thought Kelly was unlucky, but good on JW for being aggressive and forcing the issue.

I didn't see Medina's air and heat analyser isn't working on my work computer - I'll be looking tonight at home.

What I am liking though is by and large single air waves aren't attracting 8's, 9's and 10's like they did last year. There's more emphasis on surfing the whole wave fluidly, which is great because it's not an fecking gymnastics comp - it's a surfing comp! And by and large the carve guys have integrated airs more into their game (Taylor and a few others aside).

Comment

• I agree with tre to some degree. Parko deserved good scores, but not near perfect scores. The whole wave needs to be surfed exceptionally for a near perfect score for me. Parko was surfing smooth and precisely but only at 70%. At no point was he surfing to him limit so I don't think it deserves the score. Sure wish I could surf that way at 700% let alone 70% though...

Comment

• joel in quarterfinal heat 3. that 9.33, that's worse scoring than adriano's floater in rio last year.

Comment

• I've noticed on occasions more progressive surfing doesn't always get the appreciation it deserves from the judges...one of the reasons they started air shows. I wonder what the average age is of the judges - it shouldn't matter but I suspect it does. Next question is how do I get that job?

Comment

• Should we start thinking of a clever way to write Slater utilizing a 12? We had Sl8er at 8 and Ke11y at 11. Twelly? OK, a little premature perhaps. 50 wins? Are you kidding? Candidate for best athlete in any sport past or present. Discuss...

BTW - what was that bastard board he was on? Loving the 4 fin choice for Lowers, but all that black stuff on the bottom indicates some weird science going on. I know he's been experimenting with concave decks (other than the natural concaves that throwing airs creates).

Comment

• Yeah he had a couple of carbon strips down the stringer line and the whole tail area was carbon too. Surprised it didn't snap across the carbon line, must be a stress point.

Slate12 ?

Comment

• It's a Fred Rubble 5'9" x 18.25" x 2.25" epoxy. I only know that because the kept on mentioning it in the commentary.

I actually think the judging overall has been pretty good. I personally think KS is the one habitually over scored and I'm far from the only one. In past years airs were sneered at but last year the pendulum swung too far the other way with 10 points for single moves. I think this year the proportionality between airs and power has been about right.

For me, Mick and Joel still have to be favourites, but if Slater has a cracking back half he could win again. He definitely wasn't the form surfer this last event. Basically the waves Mick and Joel had been surfing disappeared in the semi and final. Had they arrived and they surfed them as they normally do they'd both have won. Bad luck and maybe bad heat tactics but not better surfing by Slater.

Incidentally Owen looked ominous in the pre-final surf. Maybe setting up for a back end charge?

Comment

• i think Jordy and Michel got JUUUUUUUUUUUICED!

Comment

• 2 Firewire round 1 heat wins in France today. Bourez and Alijo.

Comment

• Tough heat for MB. Onto round 4 with a pretty low scoreboard. Conditions are gnarly over there!!.
                              Last edited by iggy; 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• hah yeah I saw that!! Did you guys see how big the board looked under Alejo's feet? It was borrowed board from Michel...

Iggy that was a gnarly day!! Heaaaaavvvvvy!

Comment

Working...
                                X