Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    Sounds like I've pissed of the Aussies haha
    No Phil...takes more that that rev us up. By the way how does it feel being a citizen of country that has never really had..and never will have, a pro surfer on the WCT? let alone one that has any hope of being in the running for a title? I cant imagine that as an Aussie....Now if you are going down the Martin Potter route..lets just be clear he left the UK just before he turned 2.

Comment

• *** removed ***
      Last edited by aurfalien; 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Russel Winter? Not a runner up, but he did make the CT, briefly...

I'd rather live in a country that wasn't surf obsessed like Australia though, too many in the water as it is! Crowds around the Goldy are a joke. I wouldn't mind the quality of waves you get there though, then we might produce some more CT level talent...!

Comment

• I see Slater has become much more generous in his comments, saying words to the effect that Parko is a freak of a surfer and this title might open the floodgates for more.

I did notice that even well before this year Slater seemed to single out Parko for more trash talk than any other competitor, presumably because he saw him as his main (present) competitor. Medina, Owen, Julian and JJF will the next gen and who knows, maybe Jordy will develop consistency and Dane will rejoin the tour.

Since 2002 the scoreboard reads 6 titles to "not Kelly" and 5 to Kelly. AI gets three, Mick 2, Parko 1 and Slater 5. In my eyes they have been the dominant surfers of this generation and deserve the recognition. AI should have had more but he lost inspiration and we all know what happened. Parko should have had at least one more. More to come?

Here's my tip based solely on watching the Triple Crown; Sea Bass will match JJF's ranking within a couple of years, if not exceed it. I personally prefer to watch Sea Bass surf over JJF.

Comment

• Yeah I'm excited to watch Seabass next year!

Comment

• Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
              OMG, come on now. Sure prison rapists, I mean Aussies are great surfers and all but...
              That quote is too far and should be removed. Having a friendly dig is very different to labelling a nation as "criminal rapists". It is offensive and juvenile.

Comment

• If Brazilians as a group ever decide that style is as important as airs we'll be in trouble. Because of the poverty in Brazil I suspect the surfers breaking out onto the tour from Brazil will be that much more desperate to succeed.

A bit of backstory; I reckon circa 2003 AI was clearly a superior surfer to Slater; Mick and Joel were clearly superior to Slater on rights, and Taj was clearly the superior surfer in beach break conditions. I reckon the reason Kelly won as many titles as he did against AI was his mental toughness. AI was tough, but Slater was tougher. The Aussie guys didn't win as many because they didn't really take competing all that seriously for a long time, and particularly for Mick and Joel their backhand at Teapou and Cloudbreak wasn't (then) as good as Slater and AI. I think that's now changed and they're all much of a muchness. Slater did lift his performance, but it was his desire to win which drove that - he just wanted to win more desperately than the others. His desire was matched by AI in the early years and by Mick in 2007.

So I reckon in years to come the poorer Brazilians will be just that much more desperate to succeed than the comparatively comfortable Aussies and Hawaiians and Californians and Floridians and Saffas. I wonder where they'll take the surf industry if they do? "California cool" doesn;t seem to be a prominent part of Brazilian surf culture but Brazilian beach culture is pretty laid back (in general and definitely excepting surf hassling).

I'll always support the Aussies but if it's not going to be an Aussie I'd like it to be Jordy. He rips. He complately rips. And the Saffas haven't had a world champ since either Shaun Thomson or Martin Potter depending on how you count it.

Comment

• The surfer I really feel for is Taj. When the current throwing airs being highly rated was still behind powerful hacks and carves Taj was doing them and not getting scored. He can do it all but...I think sometimes he chokes in the QTRS , Semis and Finals. I would love to see him win one before he retires.

Comment

• True enough for Taj. If he had his competitive S%^$ together this could have been his year. He won at Snapper after all. But he just has brain explosions. I think, for instance, he got beaten by Kai at Bells needing only a pair of 6's or similar to win. He sat waiting for bombs, going for broke and falling when the occasional one came through, when he should have at least picked up one inside wave and notched up a 6 just by surfing normally. Aside from huge slabbing tubes Taj will always score better than Kai if put on the same waves. Just dumb heat strategy. Really stupid. All his momentum was lost basically at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Russel Winter? Not a runner up, but he did make the CT, briefly...

I'd rather live in a country that wasn't surf obsessed like Australia though, too many in the water as it is! Crowds around the Goldy are a joke. I wouldn't mind the quality of waves you get there though, then we might produce some more CT level talent...!
                      Phil..my guess is you havent ever been to Aus and understand how massive it is and how much surf drenched coast we have? Sure you can go to places like the Superbank and its crowded. I have surfed the superbank about 12-15 times. Even when its super crowded I still get heaps of waves and one good wave there is pretty sick. I remember one where I took off just behind the rock and went all the way to Cooly. That thing just kept standing up and I remember my legs were starting to fade at Greenmount !! You have to also remember that most of the people surfing the SB arent great surfers so you can out paddle them or out place them most times. A pecking order normally happens pretty quickly.

Having said that I surf at a place in a national park which is just off a highway. You have to walk about 200 meters or so to get to the water but I rarely surf there with more than 5 people or so in the water. It is "plagued" with dolphins and super white sand and mostly crystal clear water...AND its about 15 mins from my house. We regularly get very good surf there. There are just hundreds of places like this just on the east coast and lots of them go unridden. The superbank is NOT indicative of the Australian surfing experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                        True enough for Taj. If he had his competitive S%^$ together this could have been his year. He won at Snapper after all. But he just has brain explosions. I think, for instance, he got beaten by Kai at Bells needing only a pair of 6's or similar to win. He sat waiting for bombs, going for broke and falling when the occasional one came through, when he should have at least picked up one inside wave and notched up a 6 just by surfing normally. Aside from huge slabbing tubes Taj will always score better than Kai if put on the same waves. Just dumb heat strategy. Really stupid. All his momentum was lost basically at that point.
                        Yeah Buzzy totally agree. And to win at Santa Cruz and a couple of other good results...he had a good year really. Just that tad more heat savvy and it could have been a winning year for him. Thats why Parko is so deserving from my perspective. He just kept plugging away getting results.

Comment

• Yeah I live in the Sydney CBD and have to remind myself that an hour ot two drive in either direction will enable me to find uncrowded conditions (provided I steer clear of "name" spots). Mind you, I've surfed decent Bondi and Manly, for instance, with barely another person out - dumb luck rather than good strategy.

Comment

• Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                            That quote is too far and should be removed. Having a friendly dig is very different to labelling a nation as "criminal rapists". It is offensive and juvenile.
                            No leave it. It's perfect for some room of mirrors contemplation! I really like it, it's a variation of that old "nation of convicts" chestnut. The world has turned a few times over since 1788. Perhaps it was just an overreaction/overkill response. Meant to be funny but wide of the mark...I mean we do call the guys across the ditch sheep shaggers, but that IS funny (especially since our economy used to ride on the sheep's back).

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                            Having said that I surf at a place in a national park which is just off a highway. You have to walk about 200 meters or so to get to the water but I rarely surf there with more than 5 people or so in the water. It is "plagued" with dolphins and super white sand and mostly crystal clear water...AND its about 15 mins from my house. We regularly get very good surf there. There are just hundreds of places like this just on the east coast and lots of them go unridden. The superbank is NOT indicative of the Australian surfing experience.
                            Gee sounds like 2233.

I have never surfed the Superbank though I have surfed Snapper, Cooly and Kirra in the old days. Coolie used to break nearly all the way to Kirra on bigger days. As Fan points out though there are just so many places on the east coast alone.

I would say Australians are no more surf obsessed than Californians, perhaps less so. I've spent plenty of time in California for work and seems like everybody there still has an old surfboard in the garage and it is pretty much a part of growing up on the coast of California - you will at some time pick up a surfboard and learn. Far from the case with Sydney-siders at least.

Comment

• Not obsessed but we like to ham it up for Christmas...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyXuALLw18k

Comment

• Too funny. I embarrassingly love that ad.

Incidentally, unadjusted ratings have Parko at 67900 points and KS at 57700. If you leave in the worst results the year wasn't even close.

Comment

Working...
                                X