X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip Curl Pro Bells 2012

Wow -- How good are the waves down there yesterday! Thank god for solid waves, get to see some power surfing and rail work. But I guess with John Johns performance at Margs, he will punt anything these days!

I thought Michel would have done better with his style :(

me too i dumped taj for the event and picked up michel and bede.. michel did not look good

Comment

I had big hopes for Michel and Melling, both lost in round 2. I felt like Michel got a little underscored on his 6.17 against Freddy. Those first two turns were really critical. I felt guys where getting bigger scores for 4 or 5 safe turns than 3 big, committed ones. It wouldn't have taken a much bigger score for Michel to slip through with Freddy having that interference call on him.
      I had Freddy on my team too so I was always going to lose one of them, but I'd rather have seen Michel go through. He didn't look happy about it either.

Comment

4 out of 7 of my guys are off on round 2!!!!. It's gonna be another bad one!!!

Comment

yeah....damnit ace!!!

Comment

John John just cleaned up Wilko! Slater vs Muscroft... hmmmm. Im really liking Freddy P, his back hand is on fire, and reminds me a little of Bobby. Very different from Ace's backhand, which flows a lot smoother. But lets see some of these guys in the clutch situation, when guys like Slater, Parkinson, Fanning & Smith start showing their big time experience.

Hoping John John takes it out, such a nice kid :)

Comment

Buddy Kelly is ripping it!!!!.This guy looks like he can almost predict what the heck is coming. So much control...all this at his age!!

Comment

Have to agree, after a snapped board and the count down on, he pulled out a sick AR in the bowl... OMFG!

Comment

BELLS Ok, props to Mick, good hard work by both surfers.. But that last wave scoring comparison side by side show'd a different score on my card...Sorry, I had to say that ...

Comment

I didn't see today's surfing but I see Slater caught 13 waves to Fanning's 3. He really is desperate to win and at 40 yoa and 11 world titles the desperation isnt dissipating. I have to confess I don't understand why he doesn't want to pursue other interests, but then again I never had the single minded determination to even win a heat, let alone a world title.

Yes, I never won a heat.

Comment

If you missed it yo can relive the final on the heat analyzer
                      http://live.ripcurl.com/?aid=2053

Comment

Jordy's last wave should have scored more in my opinion and Fannings 9.7 score was too high for a wave he fell off on. Then again a perfect 10 for one move by kelly ? was a sick air though. Still, it was a really good final and could have gone either way. Both were ripping it.Really enjoy watching the comps, was gutted to see Taj go out so early was enjoying watching him and also John John and medina. Big mistake letting Ceej take that wave.

Comment

I reckon year in year out Slater's surfing just doesn't suit Bells. His style looks really choppy there. That said he can clearly pull out some moves and it's a testament to his ability and competitive skills that he's won 4 of them.

On the one move wave thing I reckon it's wrong to score a move like that a 10 on a wave like Bells. To choose a near close out at a place like Bells or Rincon or JBay is just bad wave selection. I actually thought Slater's last wave against Muscroft was better as he picked a medium wave, surfed it as best could be surfed and then pulled a giant air where no air should be pulled.

We watch surfing. I want to see surfing, not acrobatics. Unless the wild moves are integrated into a whole wave it's acrobatics.

This isn't to suggest Slater doesn't surf great, but a one manoeuvre wave on a pointbreak just fails the test of good surfing.

I'm not sure what Parko has ever done to Slater by the way but Slater seems to devote an awful lot of sledging toward him. Maybe he's worried by him?

Comment

Parko cost Slater a world title back in the Andy Irons era back in 2002 I think
                            In the final at pipe Parko blocked Slater to help Andy win the final and world title
                            In my opinion the other two surfers should have let Andy and Kelly have all the space in the world
                            I don't think Slater has ever forgotten

Comment

I think you're right.

Having said that Gavin Gillette should have let Parko win by that theory a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X