X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakley Pro, Bali

The conditions aren't impressing me right now. Good first heat for Felipe though. Looks like he's riding a FST Mini Driver?

Yeah conditions are challenging but it will just get better. Impressive what these guys can do no matter what mother nature throws at them

Comment

I watched the entire contest, damn Seabass and John John killed it! Looks like Felipe was riding a custom MD.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Yeah I felt sorry for Seabass, he's becoming my favourite guy on tour. Always so stoked.
        John John is crazy though.

Comment

showing up and blowing up. yeah JJFs air was insane. Speaking of feeling bad for someone, is there anyone who as had a harder time than Pat Gudauskas and Kolohe? They both surf so well and keep just getting nipped in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...well at least the events that Pat is in...

And yeah Filipe actually grabbed a stock Mini Driver in AUS earlier this year and just popped it out. He was also riding a quad which he normally doesn't do. Not sure if he is experimenting with a few ideas, emulating what he has seen other guys doing like kelly (round tails and quads), or if he broke his small wave board. board looked both good at times and a little too flat at others. though i think the wave was way trickier than it looked...

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah the wave looked horrible to surf while it was dead low tide and onshore. So many steps and ribs in the face and all sorts of tricky sections not to mention how dredgey and hard to read it was. The last few heats started looking pretty good though!
            I don't understand why they are at Keramas in June. Imagine how good the waves were on the west side of the Bukit yesterday, bigger and offshore all day.

I agree with you about Pat and Kolohe, particularly Pat! So often you see him lose with heat totals that would have won nearly any other heat in that round.

Yeah just reading the forecast it sounded like Canggu was bigger and winds definitely would have been better. I bet we see them head over there. I think winds are supposed to get way stronger for the back half of the event? Seem right?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure about the wind, hopefully there won't be much more than yesterday, it looked like it wouldn't handle any more than that. There's plenty of swell on the long range though! It would be nice to see them go across to Canggu but I think they'd only do it as a last resort. The set up at Keramas is too crowd friendly with the bar and the music etc.

I wonder if Alejo Muniz will jump back on the Firewires That was the wildest snapped board I've seen Big snap off the top but the the only thing snapped was his board He's not having the best year so far

Comment

If JJF keeps surfing like that he'll have an injury a year. I reckon Kolohe needs an extra 5kgs of meat on his bones. He's almost there, but not quite. Sea bass rips. Full stop. JW will win this one. Completely evidence free statement there.

Comment

I am impressed that no one a the forum has pointed out the great result Michel Bourez, fist rider of Firewire, has gotten at the Oakley Por Bali.....reaching the final together with the world champ, beating Mick at semi finals and finally getting second for the first time at the WTC.....CONGRATS TO THE SPARTAN !!!!!!

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah very happy for Michel. I was hoping he'd take the final. He probably should have.

Yes Phill. As Michael said at the post-final interview, he committed few errors that cost him the final: the most visible one was falling down in the first maneuver of that big wave sometime around midway. That wave had the potential of an excelent scoring. An then letting that medium but well formed wave to go away in the last minute, to be ridden by Joel to get the score. Anyway, it was a big result for him and for the brand, that must be pointed out, not only here, but at Firewire's webpage.....

Comment

Yeah, great result for Michel and well deserved. I was backing Parko as I love his surfing but the Spartan is a definite favourite. It's a shame the waves turned bad for the final - there had been some amazing waves through the event, with the Kerr/Slater/JJF 4th round and Parko/JJF 5th round immediately coming to mind. It looks like the Spartan will be a solid top 10 this year and challenge for the top 5. Great result for Firewire. It'll be really interesting to see what happens with Toledo the next 5 years or so as he adds meat to his bones. He might be the first firewire world title holder. I'd also like to see Firewire get under the feet of an Aussie WCT Member - parochialism at play but I almost always cheer for the Aussies first.

Comment

Working...
                X