X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felipe Board Info

A bit of info I found about what Felipe has been riding.
    http://surfeurope.mpora.com/features...-firewire.html

Underneath in related stories there's another about Michel's board also.

Thanks for posting this. I had to read through it a couple of time to really absorb the concepts. Every time I think I understand board design I read something like and realize I don't know squat.

Sounds like Nev really put thought into the strengths of each surfer. Toledo needing quickness from rail to rail and Bourez needing a board that supports his commitment to turns on the face. Not sure I totally understand... but it seems wider tail will make the board looser, but doesn't necessarily mean it needs tail kick. Bourez would need a narrower (yet thicker) tail otherwise he'd be sliding out too much.

That all sounds great for good surf but about a situation where each guy is out of his element? I wonder if Toledo at Tahiti would need characteristics of MBs board (narrower tail) while MB at Huntington would need characteristics of Toledo's board (wider tail - likely wider everywhere)?

Funny those two surfers are sort at the extreme end of the spectrum... most surfers probably fall somewhere in the middle.

Comment

What board is he using in France, I think it is not a Firewire.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I noticed that. A SharpEye apparently.
        Last edited by Phill; 09-29-2013, 03:53 AM.

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        He's riding a Tomo V4 today!

• walkingdisaster
        walkingdisaster commented
        Editing a comment
        And just pulled a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge alley oop on it. Phwoar!!!

I've seen Felipe on all sorts of Firewire models. It seems to change every contest. Very impressive!

Comment

For France, it's interesting because it looks like he was riding a swallow tail in Round 4, Quadra 5? In his round 5 heat against Jordy he was riding a Sharp Eye. In the picture of the article Phill posted it looks like he is riding a rounded Pin or thumb nail similar to a Unibrow or Dominator or Mini Driver. But in the article, Nev says he is riding a diamond tail HZ.

Comment

OK Phill a V4 I see that now. What's up with the Sharp Eye. I got to say he needs to be careful because I don't think Taj has been the same surfer since he left Firewire. He got the win at Trestles granted but he looked amazing on Firewires back in the day.

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Back on the Sharp Eye now. Yeah I agree about Taj, I thought he looked much sharper and more critical on the FWs.

So Felipe seems not to have an exclusive contract with FW... Can he ride other brand boards during contests? I don't know how this is normally handled, can anyone explain?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Must of the time they can. They are usually free to ride whatever they feel will give them the edge in whatever conditions.
        Working...
        X