X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf and kiting

Hi guys, I'm looking for a kiteboard that I could surf when the wind is off.
    I'm 6'1 - 210 LB fit - advanced surfer / IKO instructor.
    I was thinking that my only option is the Dominator 5'8, but enven that one shouldn't be enough to surfing.What you think?
    The other option would be the Hellfire 5'10...
    If I have to sacrifice a bit the surf, still the Dominator or the Hellfire do the job?
    which model would be better?
    Last edited by BIRDZ; 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM.

I think the Dominator, at 210lbs you'll need all of its 31L to catch waves and surf it. You won't be getting towed! I have no idea about the Kite side of things.

Comment

Totaly agree Slowman! And we have to consider the extra weight put on a kiteboard.
      Actually this kiteboard would be used as my spare surfboard from my travel quiver.
      As I usually go in a trip to surfing and kiting, if I break my regular shortboard (603 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2), I could still save some of my surfing with the kiteboard.
      After some reading, right now I think the Kite Hellfire 510 is the best option, as kiters are droolling all over it.
      Let's see what Firewire Crew has to say on it.
      Tks for the help man!

Comment

The Dom has more volume but I must say the hellfire is a much more fun and all around better kiteboard...it in my opinion rockets up wind the easiest and works insane from light to high nuking winds. I'm 210 lbs and this is all I ride and haven't touched my Dom in about a year...

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
          The Dom has more volume but I must say the hellfire is a much more fun and all around better kiteboard...it in my opinion rockets up wind the easiest and works insane from light to high nuking winds. I'm 210 lbs and this is all I ride and haven't touched my Dom in about a year...
          Awesome Grant! I pretty much already made my choice on the Kite-Hellfire 510.
          But just for curiosity, do you think that is possible to squeeze some surfing (paddling) from it?
          Tks for the reply!

Comment

definately, no problem. Its a solid board. Suprisingly, the 506 hellfire performs nearly the same kite wise as the 510...just may be a little bit different for surfing. Just do note the kiteboards are a bit heavier than the surfboard due to the bombproof construction we have going. Have fun!

Comment

Another question : i have a sweet potatoe 5'2 , a KHF 5'6 and i d like a KP1 to surf (with kite or not) . For which waves could i used the KP1 (without kite ) ?

170 cm , 78 kgs , average/advanced surfer ......

Thx for your help

Comment

The KP1 has a ton of rocker and is pretty leaned out which is one of the reason's it's an insane kiteboard for vertical attack. For surfing it would probably shine more in some throaty barrels thank mushy waves. At your weight you'll need a lot of shoulders to paddle it. The KHF506 would probably be easier to paddle for beach breaks.

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by -Brian View Post
                  The KP1 has a ton of rocker and is pretty leaned out which is one of the reason's it's an insane kiteboard for vertical attack. For surfing it would probably shine more in some throaty barrels thank mushy waves. At your weight you'll need a lot of shoulders to paddle it. The KHF506 would probably be easier to paddle for beach breaks.

-Brian
                  Thx for your answer Brian !!!!

Comment

I have to strongly agree with Grant about the Hellfire working insanely well from super light to super strong winds. I'm only 140 lbs so I'm on the 5'6" but it handles superbly in 30 knots. My buddy Adam took it for a spin the other day and noticed it's weight in the form of "I didn't feel like it would fly away from me in the air." I post two pics in the picture thread.

Comment

works well eh!

Comment

Working...
                      X