Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a FST Sweet Potato be durable enough for kiting?

Hi,

I am looking for a light wind board, and I really like Northkites' Nugget which is basically Sweet Potato. However, I would like to buy e real thing and especially I want a light board and therefore I am thinking abt the FST version of Sweet Potato. If I put one extra layer of glass on top deck, would it work for kiting? Naturally I am talking abt riding the board strapless.

I know you have e Baked Ptato coming out, but I think the 5'2 SP would beat the BP in low winds?

Thanks!

I'm interested in the answer to this too as I was planning on using mine for some light wind kiting in the summer. I'm inclined to think it would but who knows...

Comment

In theory the 5'2" SP would do better. We opted for the Baked Po as it's an updated design and paddle surfs really well too. I've surfed and kited the 5'1" Baked Po and it's absolutely amazing in light wind but I'm certain the SP would do great as well. Definitely in FST for kiting though.

Regarding glass, just depends on how you are going to ride it. A number of guys just ride the stock surfboards but they don't jump or abuse them. If your a lighter weight rider in light wind you should be fine. If your practicing transitions or going to be jumping (at all) a layer of glass may help.

-Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian.

One more thing, regarding the 5'1 BP kitesurf specific model and 5'2 SP FST, which has more tail rocker and weight wise, how much difference there is between the two?

Also, I am in Florida in the end of Feb, do you think the kite 5'1 BP will be available then?

Thank you very much!

Comment

And actually one more, very important question: I used to have one surfboard (not yours), which had a lot of toe in leading to very high drag, and in short, this made the board useless for kiteing.

Therefore, are SP 5'2 and BP 5'1 clean in this respect ie. very fast without any drag coming from fin placement?

I highly appreciate your feedback and service here in your forums!

Comment

Originally posted by -Brian View Post
            A number of guys just ride the stock surfboards but they don't jump or abuse them.
            I have been kiting the surfboard construction for 4 years now.
            Each board has a waffle pad from NSI, that absorbs much of the heel dents.
            Never snapped a FW in half, but kiting puts a lot of abuse under the front heels.

Here's what I ride:
            5-8 Dominator for light wind. It has a wide tail and doesn't like nasty psycho chop. Very surfable.

5-8 Alternatior for biggest waves, biggest wind. Deck has two extra layers of S glass with NSI Proton straps and waffle Padz.

6-0 QuadFlex. If I had only one board, this would be it. Finally crushed the deck under the front heels and had to rebuild it.

6-0 Sweet Potato. With this monster, I can ride in 10mph wind or surf waves a foot high. It is huge for my 175 pounds.
            Try this in a 5-4 size, I think it would have a better surfboard feel than the North Nugget which is too much like a skim board for me.

I tried to kite both the Flexfire and the Taj. Both have a lot of tail rocker, which is like dragging an anchor.
            To plane these up for kiting, you need to go one kite size bigger. Like a 10 meter instead of your normal 8 meter.

I would like to test the Hellfish, but none around here to try.
            Maybe Grant or Felix would like to loan me a demo?
            Last edited by windyway; 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markusf View Post
              Thanks Brian.

One more thing, regarding the 5'1 BP kitesurf specific model and 5'2 SP FST, which has more tail rocker and weight wise, how much difference there is between the two?

Also, I am in Florida in the end of Feb, do you think the kite 5'1 BP will be available then?

Thank you very much!
              The Sweet PO has a wider outline and maybe a tad more weight. Wouldn't worry too much about the tail rocker on either of these boards. They are both pretty flat and go upwind like nobody's biz when configured as a quad. You should see the 5'1" BP out around springtime so probably won't be there for your Feb trip.

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by markusf View Post
                And actually one more, very important question: I used to have one surfboard (not yours), which had a lot of toe in leading to very high drag, and in short, this made the board useless for kiteing.

Therefore, are SP 5'2 and BP 5'1 clean in this respect ie. very fast without any drag coming from fin placement?

I highly appreciate your feedback and service here in your forums!
                Absolutely. They want to accelerate. I almost had a hard time keeping up with the BP 5'1" when surfing it. It was already starting turns while my brain was still telling it where to go :)

-Brian

Comment

Hey Windyway,

Stoked to hear you've been kiting our regular surf builds for some time now. I think a lot of folks don't realize that's an option as long as you don't beat on them too much or reinforce. Regarding the Taj and Flexfire, it's a trade off with the rocker. Less rocker will certainly get you upwind easier, more rocker will shine when your vertical attack in steep waves is priority. Fortunately we try to give you lot's of choices for the type of riding you prefer. My daily board is the KP1, but when it's light nothing can touch my 5'4" Ponator. I'm out on 3m-5m smaller kites than everyone else on the light days with this thing. The BP and Sweet PO would also shine in the light stuff.

-Brian

Comment

Brian, very good info, thank you.

One more thing, your commment on Potatonator got my interest, big time to be honest. I am now thinking abt the Potatonator 5'6 FST as I am 80kgs - 175lbs or so. I will be riding in onshore wind wave conditions mainly. I currently have Slingshot Tyrant 6'1 strapless construction (ie. very light, but heel dentable) and as mentioned I am looking for a light wind board because Tyrant is not that per se. Does the Potatonator fit the bill here as judging it by it's outline etc. it looks really good?

Please tell me that me fears on too much tail rocker for the board to be an early planer is unfounded and also that the board has off the charts speed? Pretty pls. What kind of tail rocker does it have, around an inch perhaps?

As you well know that early planing is one factor for succesful light wind riding and the other is board speed as without speed, the kite cannot create apparent wind and also the strapless jumps are not possible to do...

Thank you very much!

Comment

Honestly I think you'll love the 5'6" Potatonator. I'm around 74kgs and the 5'4" works fantastic in similar conditions. It's a slightly more traditional shape than the Sweet Potatoa with a narrower outline. The board plains immediately and is fast. Tail rocker is minimal but more importantly is the entry rocker which helps it to plain so easily. The double concave also helps. It will go with next to no kite input.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X